Child Psychiatry Grand Round suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marj22

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Been browsing for a while and finally created an account. I'm finishing up my Child Psych fellowship and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a good topic to do a Grand Rounds on. I have to give a talk in a couple months on a topic that would be seen amongst fellows and residents. I was thinking about Childhood Onset Schizophrenia and Autism but want something maybe not as broad. Any suggestions from SDN folks?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

-first episode psychosis: diagnosis &management
-diagnosing psychosis in autism spectrum individuals
-anxiety&autism: diagnosis’s&management
— ocd&autism: diagnosis’s&management
-adhd&autism

Etc etc

Reactions: 1 users
Overdiagnosis of several disorders and the mechanisms and incentives that cause it.

The death of Rebecca Riley, had a psychiatrist who prescribed her high dosages (even for an adult) of significantly bad polypharmacy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anorexia and bulimia

Reactions: 2 users
Overdiagnosis of several disorders and the mechanisms and incentives that cause it.

The death of Rebecca Riley, had a psychiatrist who prescribed her high dosages (even for an adult) of significantly bad polypharmacy.

Serious question: How did a 2.5 yo get diagnosed with Bipolar disorder? I can't even think of the scenario in which that diagnosis would even cross my mind in a 2.5 yo.

Serious question: How did a 2.5 yo get diagnosed with Bipolar disorder? I can't even think of the scenario in which that diagnosis would even cross my mind in a 2.5 yo.

Because we live in a terrible society where we are expected to medicate every single thing. even normal behavior.

Depends on what you're interested in. Go to Google or YouTube and type in Child Psychiatry Grand Rounds. You'll find a ton of topics and schedules which would give you ideas on what you could present on.

ooo! I like this it would be super good since its rare in our patient population.
It was my grand rounds presentation. I was the last one to do one in my residency for the year and I didn't want to do what everyone had already did so I picked something no one had done. We already say MDD, GAD, Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Mindfulness, OCD, autism spectrum disorder.

The parents involved in the death above got a settlement of a few million from the university hospital where the psychiatrist worked. While it seems apparent the psychiatrist didn't know WTF she was doing, the parents seemed to think medication was the answer to everything as well.

I've said this often, a good psychiatrist doesn't medicate EVERYTHING. I've had plenty of situations where I told patients I thought they were on too many meds or that medications arent warranted for bad phases that are normal to experience such as feeling bad over a fight with a friend.

I brought up the above case cause this is a clear example of something I usually did not see emphasized enough in psychiatric training.

Last edited:
I hate how in mental health field we have certain people feel that we need to medicate anyone who is "hearing voices" with an antipsychotic ASAP. Total garbage and I often get 6 year olds with a diagnosis of Schizophrenia so frustrating.

Behavioral treatments for insomnia in kids, and sleep training for infants. One good evidence-based lecture before all the people who go on Dr. Oz get their say for the rest of everyone's life.

The parents involved in the death above got a settlement of a few million from the university hospital where the psychiatrist worked. While it seems apparent the psychiatrist didn't know WTF she was doing, the parents seemed to think medication was the answer to everything as well.

I've said this often, a good psychiatrist doesn't medicate EVERYTHING. I've had plenty of situations where I told patients I thought they were on too many meds or that medications arent warranted for bad phases that are normal to experience such as feeling bad over a fight with a friend.

I brought up the above case cause this is a clear example of something I usually did not see emphasized enough in psychiatric training.

This is going to need to be an increasing area of medical research and residency/fellowship training. Moving from an urban area to a rural area where all the care is by FP NPs or psych NPs this has gone from a few percentage points of my work to probably 15% of my job. A barely discussed topic makes up 1/7 of my professional life now...

I found our grand rounds on catatonia (specific focus on agitated catatonia) to be very interesting and informative. Especially in children on the spectrum.