Child Psychiatry Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RebBT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a high school student and I am considering child psychiatry for my future career path. I was hoping to ask people currently or finished with the process of becoming one a few questions if possible.
1. First, Are you happy with your career choice? Do you have any regrets about it?
2. Why did you choose the field?
3. What qualities do you think are best for someone to be a successful child psychiatrist?
4. What did you major in for undergrad? Is it better to major in biology or psychology? (I know that it doesn't really matter as long as you complete the pre-med requirements, but in regards to preparation for the field).
5. How significantly does undergrad play a role in the application process to medical school? (Is it better to go to a small undergrad not-as-widely-known college and be at the top of your class or go to a prestigious university and only be in the middle of the pack?)
6. Any other advice?
Even if you can only answer one question, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

One thing that may answer questions the most effectively, as well as bring new questions to your mind, is to try to locate a child psychiatrist (you may just have to find an adult psychiatrist) and shadow him/her in addition to shadowing a couple other doctors (family practice is good). If you still feel interested, you will find a great resource with the pre-med forum. The advice given is often a mixed bag as those who advance into medical school often stop frequenting the forums (not always the case) and a lot of mistaken ideas can be perpetuated. In any case, major in whatever you enjoy. Keep in mind that should you enter medical school, you'll will be taking the same courses regardless of what you did in undergrad, so don't be afraid of taking something you may not get the chance to see again.

4. What did you major in for undergrad? Is it better to major in biology or psychology? (I know that it doesn't really matter as long as you complete the pre-med requirements, but in regards to preparation for the field).

Hello, I am a fourth year medical student currently applying for Psychiatry residency. I thought I would try to answer your question about choosing a major. As you stated, your major can be in anything as long as you complete the pre-med requirements. I did a dual degree in biology and psychology. I decided to do both majors because the biology major provided me with the broad exposure to the basic sciences which I felt was important, and the psychology major, while not essential, allowed me to take all the psych course which I truly enjoyed.

I think it is safe to say that many Psychiatrist did not predict that they would go into Psychiatry, and therefore did not major in Psychology.

My best advise would be major in something you enjoy. Another thing to consider is what are your options after graduation if you change your mind about medical school.

I hope that was helpful. I wish you the best of luck as you begin an exciting time in your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in International Politics and European Art History.... perfect for psych.;)

Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it and they helped a lot!