PhD/PsyD Child Trauma Ph.D Programs/Mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyChildTrauma

Reaction score
I am currently a masters student in a clinical psychology program. I plan to apply to doctoral programs in December and am hoping to get some recommendations for doctoral programs/mentors focusing on child trauma. I am open to clinical or counseling psychology Ph.D programs, for me the fit with the PI is most important. Specifically, I am interested in the impact of child trauma on emotion regulation and factors contributing to resiliency. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Kate McLaughlin at Harvard is a fantastic mentor. Not sure she's taking students next year, but you can email her and ask if it's not available on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking for programs, I started building my list by looking at published papers (the more recent, the better) based on my research interests. I then looked up those authors and their faculty bios, moving on to the program as a whole to see if there were other faculty in the department who also had similar research interests. I also had an Excel spreadsheet where I would start adding those PI and program names into.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was looking for programs, I started building my list by looking at published papers (the more recent, the better) based on my research interests. I then looked up those authors and their faculty bios, moving on to the program as a whole to see if there were other faculty in the department who also had similar research interests. I also had an Excel spreadsheet where I would start adding those PI and program names into.
Thanks for the recommendation! I have a Excel sheet I’ve been adding to based on google searches and publications, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask around too.

Have you looked at this? Amazon product

It will tell you what research is being done at what programs!

I actually have this book, but it’s at my apartment and I’m at my parents’ house in another state (due to COVID-19). It’s unfortunate since this is a great time to do some searching.

Have you looked at this? Amazon product

It will tell you what research is being done at what programs!

As a warning, that is not 100% accurate (new faculty get hired all the time, other faculty shift, and the descriptions may not be what the faculty think they should [they've never asked me what phrases describe me, for instance], and so shouldn't replace program level looks for fit. it's a good starting point

Check UC DAVIS, too, and go for APA accredited programs for Ph.D./Psy D. September 14, 2020 is the start for Clinical Child Psychology Training Program at UC Davis usually. Check there if late applications or second round applications are accepted. I heard that they had two openings.
Dr. Howard Stevensor is also very notable at UPenn, and his research area is wide in Clinical Child Psychology. I have looked through his papers, and it would be great if a mentor as such you can work with.
Search into APA journals too by the latest research topic date so that you find exactly what you will be pursuing ahead. Do look out for fellowships too.P.s: Perhaps due to the pandemic, the UC Davis management extended its timeline.

You have a great choice of subject. I really wanted to opt for this Psy domain but I ended up with Industrial Organizational Psychology-all about motivating workers to work optimally and do their best.

:giggle:
Best of luck! Wish me luck too.
UC Davis Children's Hospital has a child trauma focused internship program, but UC Davis does not a PhD or PsyD in clinical/counseling/school psychology.

To OP, I can't speak about specific mentors, but the University of Tulsa has excellent training in trauma. One of my internship supervisors went there and she's a TF-CBT Master Trainer (and one of the coolest/most competent people I've had the pleasure of working with).

Shannon Dorsey at the University of Washington is another fantastic mentor for child trauma interests. No idea if she's taking students this year.