Children and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlsripathy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
My name is Maria and I was admitted into UNC Dental School last year. I completed all paperwork and paid mt deposit, but had to defer admission because I got pregnant. Now I am going to start dental school next August. My daughter will be 11 months old by that time, and she will be in daycare. I just wanted to know if you or anyone you know have/has experienced the same situation. How do people with kids manage to succeed in dental school?
I am really enjoying this time off with my daughter, but am also very excited about starting dental school. However, I feel a little scared because since I found out I was pregnant (last December) I haven't really focused on dentistry.
Please let me know what you guys think, and what you suggest I should do in order to get back in touch with the field.
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello :p

Personally (having done much schooling with kids), it is completely doable even if you become a single parent. I did 2 AA being a single parent and trade school. I had my daugther between my junior and senior year in dental hygiene school. Although, I now have a BS and add about 2 more years of dental pre-quisites (now married, but the kids are 13.5 and 6.5).

So, while it certainly isn't easy, it is very doable. But you won't be going out and playing around as much as those with out kids. Your life will be study, work, school, and take care of the kids. That is why it is nice if you are married, because sometimes your life can be just study & school (with help in the other two categories.)

Just my 0.02$. Good luck to you, you can do it!

(Still asleep here getting the kid to the bus, please forgive typo's :D )

Maria,

It is easily doable. There are a couple of single mom's in this years class. My buddy just had his second child in October and he is doing fine in classes. We will see you next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Maria,
Congratulations on your baby. My daughter was 5 months when I started my prereqs and she'll be 3 in January.

Her dad and I share custody so it's not that bad. The only thing is that every once in a while, you might want to stay late to finish your lab work or group study for a test. Having a back-up babysitter might be necessary.

On the other hand, when things get a little rough as they are bound to get in dental school, having a child helps to remind you that it's all worth it .

Cheers.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement. It is certainly great to get in touch with people who are attending/have attended/are planning to attend dental school.
I am married and my husband helps a lot with taking care of our baby. He works full time so we plan to leave our baby in daycare starting next August.
We are both foreigners so we do not have any relatives in the US. My family is in Brazil and his family is in India so we pretty much have to do everything by ourselves. However, taking care of my daughter has been the greatest experience of my life:)
Hope to keep hearing from you.
Take care!