China Practice Opportunities - US Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heech

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm interested in learning more about practice opportunities in China for a US-licensed, BC/BE family practice physician. For family reasons, we'd like to live in China for a few years while our kids are still young.

I've seen some of the international clinics out there (primarily servicing ex-pats), but not sure what compensation levels are, or working conditions/hours/requirements. Would be interested in feedback from those in the know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm interested in learning more about practice opportunities in China for a US-licensed, BC/BE family practice physician. For family reasons, we'd like to live in China for a few years while our kids are still young.

I've seen some of the international clinics out there (primarily servicing ex-pats), but not sure what compensation levels are, or working conditions/hours/requirements. Would be interested in feedback from those in the know.

Thanks!

Lots of ex-pats clinics in the huge cities like Beijing or Shanghai. I only know Beijing, they get paid well. For example, in Union Family Hospital (or Family Union), the physicians' salary is about the same as American family doctors. The cost of living is much lower.

Lots of ex-pats clinics in the huge cities like Beijing or Shanghai. I only know Beijing, they get paid well. For example, in Union Family Hospital (or Family Union), the physicians' salary is about the same as American family doctors. The cost of living is much lower.

Thanks! Is compensation strictly salary, or is production a major component? What about typical arrangement for call...? I'm thinking a physician working the clinic probably wouldn't be taking any overnight call at all.

What about licensing? How does a US physician get licensed to work at that kind of an institution in China? Do they have to pass the boards, in Chinese?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Is compensation strictly salary, or is production a major component? What about typical arrangement for call...? I'm thinking a physician working the clinic probably wouldn't be taking any overnight call at all.

What about licensing? How does a US physician get licensed to work at that kind of an institution in China? Do they have to pass the boards, in Chinese?

I don't know about how they compensate. In public hospitals, they're salary-based.

If you graduated from US med, surely it's easier to get licensed in the U.S., also far more likely to get a bigger salary and pay your loans off better. Chinese licensing exams are similar USMLE. But they're written in Chinese.

I have been in the Medical field in China for 5 years.. I think salary is better in US...but the international clinics in china have good salaries with not a bad working condition...
Any way you have to pass the licensing exam ..which is in chinese...

Just to add, I would go to Japan instead. Japan's medical care isn't that great, the doctors know, the people know it and foreign doctors are extremely welcomed. You could practice and teach in Universities and probably make a pretty good salary while doing it. Hong Kong was great, I loved Hong Kong and your Children will get an even better education than Mainland China.

To work in Japan as a doctor, do you need to pass their medical / board exam(s)? Do they offer English version of exams specifically for foreign doctors?

I previously tried to look for information on it and was not successful. Thought I might ask again here. Thanks.

When you work for international clinics in China, like Shanghai, you will be paid like 70% as in US
But don't go to public hospitals, speak Mandrin is a must, and you will be paid 10% as in US

is this still true at the presnt time ( being paid 70% of what one ears in the US)? IS it stricly salary bsed or production as well? How about other benefits like housing, child education, etc., are they still oferrring these at the presnt time? How are the call schedules? thanks

Hi Shevsiong,
I was wondering the same thing. Have you ran into any new info? I'd be very interested in knowing as well...

is this still true at the presnt time ( being paid 70% of what one ears in the US)? IS it stricly salary bsed or production as well? How about other benefits like housing, child education, etc., are they still oferrring these at the presnt time? How are the call schedules? thanks

When you work for international clinics in China, like Shanghai, you will be paid like 70% as in US
But don't go to public hospitals, speak Mandrin is a must, and you will be paid 10% as in US

I don't think foreigners can even work in a public hospital in China anyways. This is something you really need to figure out yourself. There aren't that many foreign clinics in China and there are a lot of people who want to work there. They are taking people from countries like Singapore where the doctors can speak English and Mandarin

Last edited:
US MDs seem fairly well represented at United Family Healthcare. As far as I know, they have a presence in Beijing and Shanghai. Does anyone have any insight into what it is like to work here?