chiro to D.O. questions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

britt11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am currently in my 8th trimester (out of 10) in a Doctor of Chiropractic Program. I have decided to finish out the program- which I graduate from in December 2010; however, I am preparing to apply to D.O. programs. Chiropractic is not for me and I have found a lot of problems with their limited scope of practice, inability to provide "complete care", philosophy, etc. My first 2 years of chiropractic school almost identically matches the first 2 years of medical school- I took a full year of cadaver lab, year of biochem, over a year of various physiology, neuroanatomy, histology, embryology, etc. We always took very high course loads- ranging from 25- 41.5 credits/trimester (what I am taking now.) I am not looking for advanced standing- just wanted to state the level of courses I've taken.

I will also have a full year of direct patient contact both in the student clinic and outpatient clinical setting.

I am looking for any feedback on areas that I should be working on.

The following are my statistics:

Undergrad GPA: science 3.24, cumulative 3.2
Chiropractic: science 3.28, cumulative 3.32
I have shadowed M.D.'s and D.O.'s for over 50 hours.
I have 3 great LOR's- 1 from the D.O. that I shadowed, and the other 2 from professors- one from my clinical supervisor and 1 from my neurology/EENT professor.
I volunteer for Hospice 2 hrs/week.

I am currently taking 14 credits in undergrad/prereq course so I will most likely get a 4.0 in those which should raise my science undergrad gpa to about a 3.4.

I am just looking for any areas that I could strengthen prior to application.
I will be taking the MCAT in May. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I am currently in my 8th trimester (out of 10) in a Doctor of Chiropractic Program. I have decided to finish out the program- which I graduate from in December 2010; however, I am preparing to apply to D.O. programs. Chiropractic is not for me and I have found a lot of problems with their limited scope of practice, inability to provide "complete care", philosophy, etc. My first 2 years of chiropractic school almost identically matches the first 2 years of medical school- I took a full year of cadaver lab, year of biochem, over a year of various physiology, neuroanatomy, histology, embryology, etc. We always took very high course loads- ranging from 25- 41.5 credits/trimester (what I am taking now.)

I will also have a full year of direct patient contact both in the student clinic and outpatient clinical setting.

I have 3 great LOR's- 1 from the D.O. that I shadowed, and the other 2 from professors- one from my clinical supervisor and 1 from my neurology/EENT professor.

I am currently taking 14 credits in undergrad/prereq course so I will most likely get a 4.0 in those which should raise my science undergrad gpa to about a 3.4.

I really think if you finish out the Chiropractic Degree, you're going to find it pretty easy to get into schools. You will have already shown that you can complete a higher level of course work.

Obviously, still do the best you can on the MCAT. Maybe try to get a bit more shadowing in.

Also, not completely a big deal, but it wouldn't hurt to find another source of volunteer hours. If you can't while completing your course work, plenty of hours with Hospice is exceptional. Never hurts to have multiple though.

I think you have an outstanding shot already. Best of luck :)

My first 2 years of chiropractic school almost identically matches the first 2 years of medical school- I took a full year of cadaver lab, year of biochem, over a year of various physiology, neuroanatomy, histology, embryology, etc. We always took very high course loads- ranging from 25- 41.5 credits/trimester (what I am taking now.)

I'm not sure if medical schools will see it the same way, nor would I assume it will get you out of taking any of these classes at med school. However, the DC degree and all your experiences from it will look good on an application and probably give you a nice leg up in the game. If I were you right now, my focus would be on figuring out what pre-reqs you need, and taking those + getting geared up for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if medical schools will see it the same way, nor would I assume it will get you out of taking any of these classes at med school. However, the DC degree and all your experiences from it will look good on an application and probably give you a nice leg up in the game. If I were you right now, my focus would be on figuring out what pre-reqs you need, and taking those + getting geared up for the MCAT.

I agree with this, I have done a lot of research into D.O. medical school policies and I have never heard of any program giving a D.C. student or even graduate advanced standing.

On a related note, I recall sitting in an osteopathic lecture and someone suggesting a referral to a chiropractor and the professor almost hit the floor. Something about "How DARE you suggest such a thing in the HOLY HOUSE OFOSTEOPATHY!!??" I wonder if this would be a hurdle for you during your application process...certainly keep us posted and good luck.

Dude you'll def be fine. Also i think you will have an advantage, b/c honestly you are already used to working with your hands. Apart from that good luck with everything man.

I really think if you finish out the Chiropractic Degree, you're going to find it pretty easy to get into schools. You will have already shown that you can complete a higher level of course work.

Obviously, still do the best you can on the MCAT. Maybe try to get a bit more shadowing in.

Also, not completely a big deal, but it wouldn't hurt to find another source of volunteer hours. If you can't while completing your course work, plenty of hours with Hospice is exceptional. Never hurts to have multiple though.

I think you have an outstanding shot already. Best of luck :)

I was going to say that having a D.C. might make it more difficult because, well, you're kinda a quitter, no?

I mean, why get a degree which you will never use? How will medical schools be able to trust that once they've educated you, you will actually go out and practice? You better be able to prove to them that you will actually stick with medicine.

And I always rolls my eyes when people say things like "it's just like medical school!" Tread carefully with that statement, because I seriously doubt adcoms will agree with you.

Thanks for the help. I am not looking for advanced standing or anything equivalent, I was just trying to mention some of the classes that I've taken and the level that they are at. I don't think that they will necessarily be at the same level of medical schools- but when I look back on undergrad and the difficulty of those courses, it is absolutely no comparison as to what I (or most undergrad students for that matter) am taking now. Also, I will be applying prior to getting my degree since I graduate in December w/ the D.C.- the only reason that I am finishing this program out is because I have spent nearly $100,000 on it already, so at this point I may as well get the degree. And on top of that I'm not a "quitter"- I have worked incredibly hard throughout this program and I'm not about to drop out at this point.

I was also curious about if it would be a hurdle for me to have to overcome.

Last edited:
I have no doubt with a half-way decent score you'll be accepted somewhere.
Even though you can't get advanced placement in a school you should ask about receiving credit for certain classes. I am currently shadowing an E.R. D.O. who was a practicing D.C. for 15ish years before he went back, his school gave him anatomy credit and he wasn't required to retake it (given this was about 10 years ago).

Hello. I am currently in my 8th trimester (out of 10) in a Doctor of Chiropractic Program. I have decided to finish out the program- which I graduate from in December 2010; however, I am preparing to apply to D.O. programs. Chiropractic is not for me and I have found a lot of problems with their limited scope of practice, inability to provide "complete care", philosophy, etc. My first 2 years of chiropractic school almost identically matches the first 2 years of medical school- I took a full year of cadaver lab, year of biochem, over a year of various physiology, neuroanatomy, histology, embryology, etc. We always took very high course loads- ranging from 25- 41.5 credits/trimester (what I am taking now.) I am not looking for advanced standing- just wanted to state the level of courses I've taken.

Those 14 credits will be counted toward your undergrad GPA really? I thought that once you graduate from undergrad, any classes you take after that are counted into the "post-bac" GPA.

Those 14 credits will be counted toward your undergrad GPA really? I thought that once you graduate from undergrad, any classes you take after that are counted into the "post-bac" GPA.

AACOMAS breaks it up many ways...yes it will be a part of a post-bacc gpa, but it will also be included in a total gpa.

actually I think it really depends on how u answer the question "why did u switch?" at ur interview/ personal statement. I was in a similar boat, I am finishing up a health professional degree right now and applied this cycle. At every interview I went to, they always ask this question "how do u know DO is the right thing for u now? how can u be sure that u won't like it midway thru just like ur previous profession?" If u can answer it well, then don't worry about it (I was accepted to several program), in fact, I think ur DC education will only help u succeed in Med school (u know how to study at a graduate level, took many of those courses already... etc). anyways, good luck and make sure to apply early!

I was going to say that having a D.C. might make it more difficult because, well, you're kinda a quitter, no?

I mean, why get a degree which you will never use? How will medical schools be able to trust that once they've educated you, you will actually go out and practice? You better be able to prove to them that you will actually stick with medicine.

And I always rolls my eyes when people say things like "it's just like medical school!" Tread carefully with that statement, because I seriously doubt adcoms will agree with you.

I disagree. She already has pretty good grades and a decent exposure to medicine and applying as a chiropracter which is already a doctor to go to DO school she may have an advantage over many other applicant who have less exposure to clinical aspects of medicine and less coursework besides all the pre reqs.

Anyways, main concern should MCAT and the pre reqs, other than that you should be good to go :)

actually I think it really depends on how u answer the question "why did u switch?" at ur interview/ personal statement. I was in a similar boat, I am finishing up a health professional degree right now and applied this cycle. At every interview I went to, they always ask this question "how do u know DO is the right thing for u now? how can u be sure that u won't like it midway thru just like ur previous profession?" If u can answer it well, then don't worry about it (I was accepted to several program), in fact, I think ur DC education will only help u succeed in Med school (u know how to study at a graduate level, took many of those courses already... etc). anyways, good luck and make sure to apply early!

agreed.:thumbup:

Your GPA is around average/slightly below average for accepted students. I'd say everything is riding on your MCAT. If you score in the mid 20's, you'll probably get in somewhere. Keep in mind, competition is on the rise the longer you wait, imo. Apply early and make sure you have an answer as to why you want to switch from chiropractor to DO.

Good luck.

i just found this in an article, D D Palmer who was the founder of chiropratic studied under Andrew Still for a short period of time....interesting

i just found this in an article, D D Palmer who was the founder of chiropratic studied under Andrew Still for a short period of time....interesting

I think the real story is that DD Palmer was trained by a student who failed out of A.T. Still's school, which was at the time called the American School of Osteopathy (I think), but would go through a ton of different name changes and become KCOM today.

OP, you have a great shot, especially if you do well on the MCAT. Getting more clinical experience with a DO/MD would be a good idea if possible (this sucks because you are currently doing clinicals for your current degree program). I have many classmates with professional degrees (DC, PharmD, ARNP, DDS, PhD), and it only helped their application.

If/When you are accepted, and if they offer you credit for certain classes, I would still take said classes (or at least audit them). Going through these classes will be easier the second time, and that can only help for residency applications. This is especially true if you want to specialize.

It is definitely a good idea to finish your current degree program. You realize that it is not for you, but you are finishing what you started. I would be surprised if interviewers spent more than a few minutes discussing the issue with you.

Good luck with your application, and keep us informed with your progress.

By the way, are you attending a "straight" DC school or a "mixer" DC school?

Thanks for all of your input- it is very helpful to hear everyone's opinions and suggestions. Now that you mention the D.D. Palmer/Andrew Still- I remember back in my first trimester learning about that in a Chiro History course but had completely forgotten about it.

And "rddoms"- I am very glad to hear that you have classmates with professional degrees- I knew that I wasn't going to be the first person to this; however, I didn't know if it was relatively common or not. I am really not that interested in receiving credit for certain classes. I would really like to go through the courses again as I think I will learn them so much better the second time around.

I am going to try to get in some more shadowing hours- hopefully at a hospital on a weekend b/c it is virtually impossible for me to shadow during the week since I am in clinic or class from 7am-8pm daily. I am going to get 545 hours in clinical internship this trimester alone which is great- I wasn't sure what the actual number was so hopefully this will be in my favor. Plus I will have two more trimesters with double that amount of clinical hours b/c I will be done with class and have clinic all day from 7-5. Therefore at graduation, I will have approximately 2500 clinical hours.

I attend a "mixer" DC school- National University of Health Sciences- in the Chicago area. We have taken courses/have experience with so many things that most people don't connect with chiropractic- for example, we've done DRE'S, PAPs, Phlebotomy,Dermatology, Pharmacology, etc.

Thanks again for everyones help!

I want to have the worlds longest name tag, thus I did KCOM's MS program before starting medical school. Depending on the difficulty of anatomy (etc.) at your current school, you will probably be able to destroy the class(es) the second time around.

Do you have a list of schools you are interested in? If not, work on that. If you do, call the schools up and ask them if they think that you should do more shadowing. You already have tons of patient care experience, and you shouldn't spread yourself too thin.

I don't think that you will have any trouble getting in. PM me if you have any other questions, and keep us informed.