Chiropractic to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adohusk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the best way is to pick the schools to apply to? Should I go to each state within the USA and look up each DO school and see which ones I like or is there an easier way to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

location is only one of the many factors to consider when choosing a school.

Does anyone know if there is any schools out there that allow you to enter their masters program and take a few classes so the school can see how you do as far as GPA and grades go and then have a position into DO school. Someone told me that there is some schools that allow that however most want you to finish the program and then apply to DO program. On the other hand some say that once you are in that Masters program that you dont even have to retake the classes if you get a "A" that the class transfers into DO school. So Iam a little confused on that, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

My name is Ajdin and I am from Germany but USA citizen hhehe. I live in Saint Louis, Mo. I am currently enrolled at Logan College of Chiropractic and I am trimester 4 basically finishing up my basic sciences. I have taken many basic science classes that DO's take their first and second year. Such as, Biochem I & II, Path I &II, Physio I,II,III,etc.

So, keeping that in mind I absolutely changed my mind and I am not liking it the philosophy of the chiropractic school I am at. I am already 30K in debt and I will receive the BS in Human Bio. in March08. I am wanting to apply to a DO school my science GPA was 3.5 and since I started Chiro school it kind of varied from 3.5 to 3.1 because I had heavy loads usually 33hours. I was always afraid of taking the MCAT and doing bad and as I went to chiro school I was always regreting why I did not try. So, I finish my tri 4 in April 22, 2008. I will skip the remaining trimesters at chiro school and try to fulfill my dream. I signed up for KAPLAN MCAT CLASS for May 10th. I have realized that my passion really lies in the heart of a DO and I really want to be accepted so bad, I am willing to do anything to do well and stay on the right track.

Hopefully I can take the MCAT sometime begining of July 08 and in mean time apply to DO schools my first choice is ATSU Kirksville. Do you guys have any sugesstions as far as my plan goes? I would also in the mean time from April find a job again at a hospital and work to have something to put on my app.

I am so stressed out about this whole thing. I really made a big mistake going to that Chiro school but I guess I have to put it behind me and start new. Its not that it is a bad school its just that I hate the philosophy etc.
Thank you for all your suggestions, ADO.

Hello,

My name is Ajdin and I am from Germany but USA citizen hhehe. I live in Saint Louis, Mo. I am currently enrolled at Logan College of Chiropractic and I am trimester 4 basically finishing up my basic sciences. I have taken many basic science classes that DO's take their first and second year. Such as, Biochem I & II, Path I &II, Physio I,II,III,etc.

So, keeping that in mind I absolutely changed my mind and I am not liking it the philosophy of the chiropractic school I am at. I am already 30K in debt and I will receive the BS in Human Bio. in March08. I am wanting to apply to a DO school my science GPA was 3.5 and since I started Chiro school it kind of varied from 3.5 to 3.1 because I had heavy loads usually 33hours. I was always afraid of taking the MCAT and doing bad and as I went to chiro school I was always regreting why I did not try. So, I finish my tri 4 in April 22, 2008. I will skip the remaining trimesters at chiro school and try to fulfill my dream. I signed up for KAPLAN MCAT CLASS for May 10th. I have realized that my passion really lies in the heart of a DO and I really want to be accepted so bad, I am willing to do anything to do well and stay on the right track.

Hopefully I can take the MCAT sometime begining of July 08 and in mean time apply to DO schools my first choice is ATSU Kirksville. Do you guys have any sugesstions as far as my plan goes? I would also in the mean time from April find a job again at a hospital and work to have something to put on my app.

I am so stressed out about this whole thing. I really made a big mistake going to that Chiro school but I guess I have to put it behind me and start new. Its not that it is a bad school its just that I hate the philosophy etc.
Thank you for all your suggestions, ADO.

Did you receive a bachelor's degree before enrolling in chiro school?? Because, you can't just complete any sciences and apply ... bare minimum you need to complete the 'pre med' course work (and the MCAT) before applying to DO schools. Schools will probably also ask about your experience in chiro and make sure you will finish DO school (though I'm sure that you will), etc etc. You have a long road ahead but in my (dumb pre med) opinion you need to figure out what you have and still need to complete in order to apply. Then worry about applying then acceptance etc. Good luck, stick around ... SDN is a great resource.

Does anyone know if there is any schools out there that allow you to enter their masters program and take a few classes so the school can see how you do as far as GPA and grades go and then have a position into DO school. Someone told me that there is some schools that allow that however most want you to finish the program and then apply to DO program. On the other hand some say that once you are in that Masters program that you dont even have to retake the classes if you get a "A" that the class transfers into DO school. So Iam a little confused on that, please let me know.

Yes, there are programs like this ... BUT I don't think anything makes you a 'shoe in' for medical school. I know NSU has one, and I think PCOM does either. I think you basically enter the program, prove yourself, set up some great contacts and greatly increase your chances of eventual acceptance. Someone should be able to answer it better though.

At PCOM (http://www.pcom.edu) we have a two year masters program in Biomedicine. Everyone in this program is guaranteed an interview if they want one. If you are a strong student and apply after the first year with a decent MCAT score, it is likely you will get in. If you only do so-so in the program in the ifrst year, it is likely you will have to complete the second year before accepted to the DO program. By this time, however, many students already receive acceptances to other schools.

Here is an excerpt discussing the "certificate" program which is what you get if you only complete one year before acceptance (Website: http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/aca_biomed/BioMed_CertP/biomed_certp.html):

PCOM Website said:
Certificate of Graduate Study in Biomedical Sciences

Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program

The one-year certificate program emphasizes biomedical concepts. It is designed for college graduates who are preparing for application to medical and other health professions degree programs, but who may not currently meet the competitive requirements. The courses are not designed to substitute for undergraduate premedical requirements. All course work is at the graduate level and instruction is by the medical faculty of Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. Courses are held in the evening session three nights per week.

Courses are similar in subject area to the courses in the medical program at PCOM, but students benefit from instruction as a separate class. The foundation courses provide a strong base of biomedical lecture and laboratory work in a one-year, full-time evening schedule, specially designed to accommodate the non-traditional student. A post- baccalaureate certificate of graduate study is awarded for successful completion of all foundation courses.

It should be noted that many criteria play a role in the admissions process to professional schools. While the Biomedical Sciences Program provides an opportunity for the student to demonstrate academic capability, it does not assure admission to a professional school.
Students interested in the Certificate of Graduate Study in Biomedical Sciences should contact PCOM's Office of Admissions at 1-800-999-6998, (215) 871-6700 or email:

[email protected].

Here is a excerpt on the admissions requirements for the program (Website: http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_msbiomed/adm_msbiomed.html):

PCOM Website said:
The PCOM Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences provides an opportunity for students with baccalaureate degrees to begin their graduate study in the biomedical sciences as preparation for science careers or as additional preparation for professional study. The program represents a broad content base in the basic biomedical sciences with a strong emphasis on human medicine and clinical applications of the material.

A curriculum of foundation courses provides a unique interdisciplinary background in biomedical sciences that may be applied in business, management or teaching careers, or as preparation for professional school. The degree track builds upon the foundation courses and culminates in original, closely mentored research.

All students enter into the full-time one-year certificate track and may choose to enter a full-time two-year or part-time three-year master's program upon matriculation. Students make a commitment to the program of their choice at that time.

More information about the MS in Biomedical Sciences program - Philadelphia campus.

Certificate Program

A certificate of graduate study is awarded for successful completion of all foundation courses and laboratory objectives. Applications are available from the Office of Admissions. The application process is rolling, therefore, applicants are encouraged to apply early.

Please note that personal interviews are not conducted. The Admissions Office staff is available for counseling either by telephone, e-mail or appointment.

The admissions process for the Certificate Program in Biomedical Sciences is not related in any way to the admissions process for the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine program on either campus at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Admissions Requirements:

A completed application and $50 application fee
Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
Completion of all undergraduate pre-professional science requirements (eight credit hours each of biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and physics)
(biochemistry is strongly recommended)
Submit official reports of standardized test scores: MCAT, DAT, OAT, or GRE
One letter of evaluation from the pre-professional advisor/committee or a faculty member of the applicant's undergraduate institution
Evidence of commitment to a career in the health profession and/or potential for admission to professional school

For the 2006-2007 academic year, winter and spring admission will not be available as we are currently at capacity. The next available term for enrollment is Fall 2007 (August start).

Click here to apply online.

Download an application for admission for Philadelphia campus:
- Application Instructions
- Application Form

All application materials for Philadelphia campus applicants should be forwarded to the Office of Admissions at the Philadelphia campus.

Master's Program

Admission is on a rolling basis and applications are accepted for the summer or fall terms for internal candidates after matriculation to the certificate program. The application, which can be retrieved from the Office of the Vice President for Graduate Programs or through Nucleus, and all other credentials must be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Graduate Programs and Planning.

Please note that personal interviews are required in order to be admitted to the Master's degree program. Please see the program Director of the selected program about an interview.

As an applicant to PCOM's Biomedical Sciences program, you are responsible for ensuring that all admissions materials are completed accurately and submitted in a timely manner.

Prior to enrollment, all candidates are required to complete the college's Technical Standards for Admission and Matriculation.

Should you have any questions, please contact us via email at: [email protected]

Any further questions?

I have all my pre-med courses done! Because the same pre-req's are required for Chiro program as well

Inorganic I &II Organic I & II
Physics I & II
Bio etc

call your nearest osteo school and set up appointment to talk with the admin counselor. Very likely, they will setup a time to meet with you and help you weave through your future options.

if you are serious about DO school, please do this.