Chiropractor Or Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Familyties

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody ever consider to be a Dc instead of Do?
:)

Members don't see this ad.

ohh crap...

*popcorn-check, soda-check*

Members don't see this ad :)
ohh crap...

*popcorn-check, soda-check*
:laugh:
let's start betting...
yeay we will go into DC vs. DO now...i guess that DO vs. MD got kinda boring...Nate will love this one for originality;)

werd lets get it started. Dc's are considered to be quackbusters. and Do's are md's. tottally different.but in fact Do's do have to learn how to quack your back for about 500 hours. :eek:

anyone can be a chiropractor.

chiropractors are DO-rejects.

chiropractors are lazy $$ sucking geniuses.

chiropractors arent docs, just wannabees.

chiropractors are real good with their hands, but not like DOs.

heh, way to kick things off ;)

im not a future dc or anything but i believe that Dc's have more on hand experience than do's when it comes to quacking backs.i dont even think that Do's quack backs. Do's definetely have good educational foundations for medicine. but Dc's are more physical. dc's are like Physical therapist's.
just a few cents.

sublaxtion is the scheme of all dc's thats how they get rich.:laugh:

Dr.Inviz you certainly know how to set things on fire;) :laugh:

I think we should start the gorilla thread again if this one doesn't show much success:laugh:

*wonders if anyone would like some of the curried goat from the DCOM thread BBQ to nosh on while enjoying the fireworks*

anybody ever consider to be a Dc instead of Do?
:)

I actually did. In fact I was planning on going to chiropractic school until about a year and a half ago. My parents moved to a new city and their neighbor happened to be a DO, and it also happens that he went to chiropractic school. I had lunch with him and he explained what Ostepathic medicine was, and why he chose his career path. From that point on I knew I wanted to go to med school.

Chiropractors are great at what they do. They have one modality to treat certain ailments, and as long as they stick to what they know best, I think they do a lot of good. It's when they try to use that modality to treat problems that are out of their level of training that problems arise.

yesssssssssssssssssss!

There is a DC and at least one person who did part of chiropractic school in my class, so the answer to your question is yes, apparently people have considered it.

obviously right. people probably even considered bunjee jumping, or running across the football field naked in front of everyone. but do they all do it.no but they probably consider it.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do is a much better field. it's not as limited as a Dc. :cool:

I actually did. In fact I was planning on going to chiropractic school until about a year and a half ago. My parents moved to a new city and their neighbor happened to be a DO, and it also happens that he went to chiropractic school. I had lunch with him and he explained what Ostepathic medicine was, and why he chose his career path. From that point on I knew I wanted to go to med school.

Chiropractors are great at what they do. They have one modality to treat certain ailments, and as long as they stick to what they know best, I think they do a lot of good. It's when they try to use that modality to treat problems that are out of their level of training that problems arise.

You're not the only one like this...I wanted to be a DC before a DO. I went to a chiropractor back in high school and that's what got me interested, but my unexpected success in college made me realize I had what it takes to do whatever I wanted, whether it be a chiro or a physician. After weighing the two, I think the job security ultimately pushed me towards DO.

I think the job security ultimately pushed me towards DO.[/quote]

i definetely agree with you on that. that's why i chose Do over Dc.
Dc's have to hustle to get clients. Do's can a get a job anywhere including hospital obviously and any clinic.so do is a considerably secure field.:)

Do is a much better field. it's not as limited as a Dc. :cool:

Couldn't agree more. As far as how 'evidence-based' or effective chiro is, I have no clue. I do know however that there is waay too much controversy surrounding the chiropractic profession, which I simply did not want to put up with.

I think this isnt appropriate.....You know a lot of MDs and lay people think the same things about DOs........."those fake doctors" (references to DOs) -I ve heard this many times.

To the poster, they are two completely different fields. From what I understand DOs dont crack backs that much.

I think this isnt appropriate.....You know a lot of MDs and lay people think the same things about DOs........."those fake doctors" (references to DOs) -I ve heard this many times.

To the poster, they are two completely different fields. From what I understand DOs dont crack backs that much.

you suck dude, honestly.

hit up your bro familyties for the differences ... hes THE OP ;)

DO's are Dc's...there is no difference. You should read the sticky about how the scope of DO practice only permits them to crack backs and perscribe only "ColdMD" and "Head-ON."

Bashing any profession on these forums is against our TOS policy so keep it civil please.. A search would have yielded many threads on this.

I believe you are trying to compare apples and oranges... or maybe apples and light sabers or something.

DOs are physicians and surgeons who have added training in OMM which isn't the same as what Chiros do at all. This is the same as asking if anyone considered being a space ninja before medicine which obviously many of us did before our dreams were shattered and we settled for being docs.

Dr.Inviz you certainly know how to set things on fire;) :laugh:

I think we should start the gorilla thread again if this one doesn't show much success:laugh:

why thank you babe ;)

Bashing any profession on these forums is against our TOS policy so keep it civil please.. A search would have yielded many threads on this.

I believe you are trying to compare apples and oranges... or maybe apples and light sabers or something.

DOs are physicians and surgeons who have added training in OMM which isn't the same as what Chiros do at all. This is the same as asking if anyone considered being a space ninja before medicine which obviously many of us did before our dreams were shattered and we settled for being docs.

Hey, I don't know about you, but after I graduate DO school I still plan on being a space ninja. I also plan on having a light saber.

BTW, can we bash lawyers? :D

So true man, so true. I thought I had the life before ... then ... it was gone in a flash of an eye. Now ... med school. I will never be the same.

With that said, my godfather is a chiro and every method has their rhyme and reason with conventional medicine ... as with every alternative treatment, buyer beware ...

I use to go to a DC many years ago. His office was connected to a Gym, and he got quite a few of his patients from the gym. The best thing was he got to always work out, and he was banging the hottest trainer at the gym:thumbup:
He is a lucky guy.
So I guess he had that going for him, becoming a DC instead of a DO.

I use to go to a DC many years ago. His office was connected to a Gym, and he got quite a few of his patients from the gym. The best thing was he got to always work out, and he was banging the hottest trainer at the gym:thumbup:
He is a lucky guy.
So I guess he had that going for him, becoming a DC instead of a DO.

i worked as a PT with DC guy. He was right out of school and trying to pay off his loans.
They were paying him $50/hr for PT and that didn't even include the clients he had on the side ... and just to mention he picked up a lot of patients at the gym.

A Dc's specialty is based on adjustments Do's dont do adjustments.
:idea:

Chuck Norris may cause pain but DOs can manipulate Chuck Norris ...

Dcs wish they could touch Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks Dcs so hard he gives them a quack.

Chuck Norris may cause pain but DOs can manipulate Chuck Norris ...

Dcs wish they could touch Chuck Norris, Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks Dcs so hard he gives them a quack.

right......:thumbup:

jackie chan can kick chuck norris's arse

jackie chan can kick chuck norris's arse

i think not. chuck norris owns jackie chan simply because he is chuck norris, and chuck norris owns all.

There are no disabled people. Only people who have met Chuck Norris.

They were paying him $50/hr for PT and that didn't even include the clients he had on the side ... and just to mention he picked up a lot of patients at the gym.

$50/hr is less than PA's make starting out in my state. I wouldn't consider a DC degree to be a good investment if this is typical compensation. I'd think that you could bill private insurance at a much better rate than this (for those who have insurance that covers the therapy).

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all chiropractic schools private (and very expensive)?

$50/hr is less than PA's make starting out in my state. I wouldn't consider a DC degree to be a good investment if this is typical compensation. I'd think that you could bill private insurance at a much better rate than this (for those who have insurance that covers the therapy).

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all chiropractic schools private (and very expensive)?

all DO schools except TCOM are private and very expensive too.

yes they are about 90k for 3.5 years. and also you need a bachelors degree.
and you need the same pre req's as any med school. the school is costly and its not guaranteed so i dont need that either.

when i wrote PT i mean Personal Trainer not physicsl therapist :p
Trainers make normally like half of that. He was just working few days a week as a PT at the gym where i worked. It was additionall money for him at whatever time he felt like it...plus he got a nice chunck of his clients as patients later on.
I thought it was a briliant idea on his side to promote him helf and get his name out there. That gym is a very busy 24/7 huge facility...very good place for getting the ball rolling.

all DO schools except TCOM are private and very expensive too.

I thought AZCOM was partially state funded, but I checked their website, and their in-state tuition was not much different from their non-resident tuition.

My state has an affordable osteopathic med school (Oklahoma State). I think that they charge 16K for in-staters. That is cheaper than the allo school where I go 100 miles down I-44 (same state). Just ask mshheaddoc. :love:

when i wrote PT i mean Personal Trainer not physicsl therapist :p
Trainers make normally like half of that. He was just working few days a week as a PT at the gym where i worked.

Sorry about that. Trainers at my hospital's gym get something like $14/hour, and that's only if they have a degree. :eek:

Sorry about that. Trainers at my hospital's gym get something like $14/hour, and that's only if they have a degree. :eek:

i guess it depends on the gym. I was on $23/hr but then you kinda have to get your own clients since you got payed for only training sessions that ppl buy...if you were just hunging out and helping new members it was more like $7/hr.

The data on student loan default among chiropractors would seem to support your thoughts. Financially, the chiropractic profession seems rather tenuously supported by medicare payments, as current estimates seem to indicate there is a lot of over treatment happening...Gotta make those student loan payments somehow.

i guess it depends on the gym. I was on $23/hr but then you kinda have to get your own clients since you got payed for only training sessions that ppl buy...if you were just hunging out and helping new members it was more like $7/hr.

Yea, I got about 20 an hour back in high school when I did it for a few people...without any degree. Go little old ladies and men. :p Of course I remained sensitive to joint injuries and whatnot...which a lot of those people don't seem to care about. Bad shoulders? Eh go do latpulldown behind your neck and use a machine...

I think DCs really have to be businessmen down under...not scientist. Every chiropractor I have seen that was truly successful is more of an entrepeneur than anything. They eventually open up a couple of offices, hire their minions, have aggressive advertising and all that stuff...then they get to the point they seem more like managers than docs. Not TOO many docs need to advertise to get business and if they do it is a billboard or little radio ad and not much more.

Sorry about that. Trainers at my hospital's gym get something like $14/hour, and that's only if they have a degree. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'm lucky to live in a body obsessed place and make much much more than that per hour:smuggrin:

Comparing DO and DC degrees is impossible.You might as well compare DO degrees with Cosmetology.

There's a reason why chiropractors are not allowed to prescribe medication or perform any surgery and it's not due to "natural" healthcare philosophy - it's a result of competence and education.

I've practiced for 20 years (Board Certified in Family Practice) - chiropractors are almost universally seen as bumbling back and body crackers who are basically harmless when treating patients who have 1) limited intelligence or understanding of medicine and 2) will get better anyway after whatever it is goes away on its own.

Too many chiropractors have limited skills in differential diagnosis and a rudimentary knowledge of pharmacology - I'm not sure what role they play in health care aside from overbilling.

Besides, the basic chiropractic philosophy is flawed - I don't care how many times you put Mary Lou "back in alignment" it still won't cure Mary Lou's gonorrhea. I used to have patients bring me lab reports from studies their chiropractors would order because the chiros couldn't interpret the results.

If your mom had diabetes would you tell her to stop the insulin and get a couple of "lumbar rolls?"

Seriously, even though chiropractic makes virtually no sense now, it was probably acceptable in 1895. It's been downhill from there. Chiropractors offer a simple explanation for complex problems ("...your headaches are because this vertebra is misaligned - I'll fix that" ...CRACK! CRUNCH!).

If you took your car in to be fixed and the mechanic said, "Bring your car back three times a week for the next 4 months and then it should be okay" your inclination would be to think the mechanic was incompetent. It's not the greatest analogy but it makes the point.

Granted, some chiropractors spare patients from medical errors, toxic drugs, or an over-aggressive health care system but all things being equal the profession should probably be shut down. If all the chiropractors suddenly disappeared tomorrow what real harm would befall the American public? I know that sounds harsh but in the final analysis my advice would be to avoid DC schools like the plague, which chiropractors can't treat anyway.

While I was taught osteopathic manipulation (which is in many ways different than chiropractic manipulation) I don't have to use it if I don't consider it clinically helpful. Chiropractors have no choice. Then again, they probably don't know other choices exist.

the letters PT belong to Physical Therapy, physical therapy may only be provided by a physical therapist or physical therapy assistant.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a PT (now med student) and have seen far too many DCs claim to provide physical therapy, and have seen many personal trainers claim to be physical therapists. I have complete respect for those people who do a good job at what they are trained in but have no tolerance for people who try to use physical therapy's good reputation to fool their clients or for their own gain. This is not meant to offend anyone, simply to educate those who may be confused by the above posts.

Comparing DO and DC degrees is impossible.You might as well compare DO degrees with Cosmetology.

There's a reason why chiropractors are not allowed to prescribe medication or perform any surgery and it's not due to "natural" healthcare philosophy - it's a result of competence and education.

I've practiced for 20 years (Board Certified in Family Practice) - chiropractors are almost universally seen as bumbling back and body crackers who are basically harmless when treating patients who have 1) limited intelligence or understanding of medicine and 2) will get better anyway after whatever it is goes away on its own.

Too many chiropractors have limited skills in differential diagnosis and a rudimentary knowledge of pharmacology - I'm not sure what role they play in health care aside from overbilling.

Besides, the basic chiropractic philosophy is flawed - I don't care how many times you put Mary Lou "back in alignment" it still won't cure Mary Lou's gonorrhea. I used to have patients bring me lab reports from studies their chiropractors would order because the chiros couldn't interpret the results.

If your mom had diabetes would you tell her to stop the insulin and get a couple of "lumbar rolls?"

Seriously, even though chiropractic makes virtually no sense now, it was probably acceptable in 1895. It's been downhill from there. Chiropractors offer a simple explanation for complex problems ("...your headaches are because this vertebra is misaligned - I'll fix that" ...CRACK! CRUNCH!).

If you took your car in to be fixed and the mechanic said, "Bring your car back three times a week for the next 4 months and then it should be okay" your inclination would be to think the mechanic was incompetent. It's not the greatest analogy but it makes the point.

Granted, some chiropractors spare patients from medical errors, toxic drugs, or an over-aggressive health care system but all things being equal the profession should probably be shut down. If all the chiropractors suddenly disappeared tomorrow what real harm would befall the American public? I know that sounds harsh but in the final analysis my advice would be to avoid DC schools like the plague, which chiropractors can't treat anyway.

While I was taught osteopathic manipulation (which is in many ways different than chiropractic manipulation) I don't have to use it if I don't consider it clinically helpful. Chiropractors have no choice. Then again, they probably don't know other choices exist.

Nicely done, doctor. :thumbup: