Choice Between NOVA and AZCOM...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethpol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've limited my acceptances to 2 schools - NOVA and AZCOM. I am a firm believer in choosing a school based on one's own experiences and views, and picking the one you'll be most happy attending. Although I was easily able to limit my list down to these schools, I honestly cannot decide between them.

Whereas AZCOM has higher board passing rates, NOVA is more established. I know I'll get a good education at both schools, but its the little things (like student happiness and housing) that play a big part.
I would greatly appreciate comments from current students at these institutions, or hearing from current applicants and the opinions they walked away with after their visits. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by sethpol (edited 12-07-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 2nd year student at NSU so I'll just give you my opinion. Unfortunately I was never given the honor of interviewing at Arizona so I can't say much about that school. I know very little about it or its programs (and I feel that most med school applicants REALLY never get to know much about the school... it takes quite some time to realize how your school is established in the medical community).

First off, we are down in S. Florida, in Broward County... which has one of the highest physician to population ratios. Which allows the medical student tons of experience because of the huge medical community. We also have U of Miami not to far from here and in our rotations we go through Jackson. NSU-COM is also associated with the North Broward District, which includes Broward General, a HUGE teaching hospital. I believe NSU offers quite a bit of variety in its 3rd and 4th years... we have numerous (i am guessing 15-20 or so) hospital systems that we can rotate through in FL alone, and several more are being added in other states (GA, AL).

Anwyays, since I'm only in my second year I suppose I should limit my discussion to the pre-clinical years. Apparently, before I came to NSU-COM, the OMM (OPP Dept now) was somewhat weak. That has been remediated by the installation of two faculty from another DO program... and this seems to have REALLY strengthened the department. So if you are really into that, NSU has two of perhaps the best known OPP professionals. I myself am not into OMT that much so that doesnt' interest me.

I think the overall mood of the students is high. There is a LOT of comeraderie (sp) and everyone is a big family. Granted, you are gonig to get a couple of sour apples in the mix, but in general the students are relaxed and enjoy their experience. I know I do and my friends do too.

You also get a lot of clinical experience early on, through the IGC program. Your first year you spend one afternoon every other week at a DO/MD office and see patients. You can be doing things such as gynecological exams, to blood work, to H&Ps, to just standing there and watching. So that depends on your preceptor. But i think its a good experience no matter what you do. I think you start that within two months of starting school. Second year you do that every week... and it is nice because it helps remind you that you are here to see patients, not studying the mechanism of the loop diuretics (although its necessary).

Anyways, I have no doubts in my mind that NSU-COM is an excellent facility. I do not regret my acceptance to NSU nor do I wish I could have investigated the other schools more, I am completely happy at NSU.

My two cents.
Q

I completely concur with the things Quinn pointed out. I am a first year student and very happy with my choice to attend NSU-COM. There is also the added benefit of having your vote count at LEAST four times here in South Florida if you choose to change your voter registration like I did. What other osteopathic school can offer you that? :p

I am a MSIII at AZCOM and have had a great experience here. As you were probably told at your interview, the school has an open door policy and you can talk to the professors at any time. I found this to be true and know many of my professors on a one-to-one basis. They prepare you well for the boards and only one person in my class did not pass. The students are very friendly and are willing to help each other. Other than the HOT summers, you can't beat the location. You can do all of your rotations in the valley if you wish, however, the school allows you to go out of state to check out residency programs. The cost of living is fairly reasonable, especially housing. If you have a family, it's a great place to live. The only downside... you only get to vote once!