Quantcast

Choice in TN pharmacy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDooms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have interviewed at Union, Lipscomb, and ETSU and have been accepted to all three. I also have upcoming interviews to both UT and Belmont. I'm having a tough time choosing which school to go to. I know some say that there is no doubt that I should choose UT because of accreditation, but not sure if the big city life is for me, and I also am in no way wanting to do research after I get done. So, is there any suggestions or information I can get?

purplepower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't think you will do a residency I say go where you want to live and like the pharmacy program the most. What does it matter where you go as long as you get to be a pharmacist? I got accepted to ETSU too, they have a very nice building and super friendly dean. I won't be attending though, because I want to live in a bigger city, but do what your heart desires. I am sure they will get accredited, they already have candidate status. I don't know about the others. Where do you think you would be happiest?

DrDooms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the weird thing with ETSU at my interview was that there was no staff besides the dean and a couple of the medical school staff. All of my other interviews so far I have been able to meet most of the staff. That is good advice though. I'm really trying to list the pro's and con's of each.

Aznfarmerboi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Base it on accreditation.
2. Base it on total cost/tuition and cost of living.

Although I am not familiar with TN schools, you will not be doing a lot of research as a PharmD when you are done even if you go to a research school. The different between a PharmD and PhD is that a PharmD is clinical while PhD is research.

DrDooms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I had my interview with UT Memphis today and got a call on the way home saying that I got accepted to their program! I am excited. I'm still struggling with Lipscomb vs UT but I think UT will end up winning due to costs, experience, and accreditation.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good choice in UT. I know someone who graduated form there and she loved it.

DrDooms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my dad actually went to med school in Memphis so it will be kind of cool to follow in his footsteps except in pharmacy school. I'm going to have to make a trip to see the Memphis campus soon, since all I've seen is the Knoxville campus.