Choice of School

Started by Ben26TPA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ben26TPA

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and tried browsing through the various threads to find some answers but couldn't.

I am an older (by older I mean 26) pre-med student trying to finish up my undergrad. I worked for an airline for almost 7 years as a flight attendant before quitting to go back to school. I will finish up my 2nd year of college this summer before transferring to U of Tampa this fall to begin my junior year.

Now my question, I was reading some of the posts on here and some stated that it really mattered where you did your undergrad. U of Tampa is a private school but by no means a big name school. Should I rethink UT and go to USF or does it really matter? Thanks for any info!
 
It doesn't matter where you do undergrad. You're going to a fine school and it won't be held against you. Just do well in your courses and it will be a moot point. Also, the great equalizer is the MCAT. Rock that test and no one will even check to see where you did undergrad.
 
Everyone has an opinion. Bottom line: no matter where you go, DO WELL.

Best way to accomplish the above: be comfortable where you are. That means going somewhere you're happy. If that's at U Tampa, so be it. If that's at USF, then go there.

how's that for a non-answer? 😉
Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone has an opinion. Bottom line: no matter where you go, DO WELL.

Best way to accomplish the above: be comfortable where you are. That means going somewhere you're happy. If that's at U Tampa, so be it. If that's at USF, then go there.

how's that for a non-answer? 😉
Good luck.

Haha.....that's probably the best non-answer I've ever gotten. So far I'm sitting on a 4.0. I hope to keep this up. I've been going to school full time and working my arse off full time at a clinic as well. HOPEFULLY this will all mean something in the end!
 
Haha.....that's probably the best non-answer I've ever gotten. So far I'm sitting on a 4.0. I hope to keep this up. I've been going to school full time and working my arse off full time at a clinic as well. HOPEFULLY this will all mean something in the end!
I'm giving you the best advice I've been given since I started med school: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 😉

P.S. Fellow Floridian here. 🙂