1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Choice of School

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Ben26TPA, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ben26TPA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello everyone. I am new to this site and tried browsing through the various threads to find some answers but couldn't.

I am an older (by older I mean 26) pre-med student trying to finish up my undergrad. I worked for an airline for almost 7 years as a flight attendant before quitting to go back to school. I will finish up my 2nd year of college this summer before transferring to U of Tampa this fall to begin my junior year.

Now my question, I was reading some of the posts on here and some stated that it really mattered where you did your undergrad. U of Tampa is a private school but by no means a big name school. Should I rethink UT and go to USF or does it really matter? Thanks for any info!

2. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

It doesn't matter where you do undergrad. You're going to a fine school and it won't be held against you. Just do well in your courses and it will be a moot point. Also, the great equalizer is the MCAT. Rock that test and no one will even check to see where you did undergrad.

3. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Everyone has an opinion. Bottom line: no matter where you go, DO WELL.

Best way to accomplish the above: be comfortable where you are. That means going somewhere you're happy. If that's at U Tampa, so be it. If that's at USF, then go there.

how's that for a non-answer? ;)
    Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    Ben26TPA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha.....that's probably the best non-answer I've ever gotten. So far I'm sitting on a 4.0. I hope to keep this up. I've been going to school full time and working my arse off full time at a clinic as well. HOPEFULLY this will all mean something in the end!

5. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I'm giving you the best advice I've been given since I started med school: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

P.S. Fellow Floridian here. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. OP
    OP
    Ben26TPA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

LOL...so there ARE others out there.....:laugh: