Choice: VCU(CERT) or BU(MAMS) or Tulane(MS Pharm)

Started by irutavias
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Don't snooze, please choose!


  • Total voters
    12
  • Poll closed .

irutavias

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking to decide between: 1-BU(MAMS), 2-Tulane(MS Pharm) and 3-VCU(CERT)

Feel free to PM a response, if that's more appropriate/comfortable

Stats:
GPA: <3.0, MCAT: >35
Undergrad: Engineering (Bio/med),
Research: 2 Years - Clinical and Lab, somewhat fruitful
EC: A few organizations, 1-2 leadership roles
Volunteering: At home and abroad, in primary care/underserved settings
Shadowing: Different specialties over a few years

Some factors that come to mind:
Cost
Ability to score well - i.e grading scheme, cutoffs, competition level, class size
MD Matriculation rate (general & into linked school)
Curriculum - broad/med school oriented? advanced credit at linked school?
Quality of the program - faculty (approachable/mentorship?), Prestige (is it important?)

Or Option 4 - I should be working instead, taking classes on the side...(Cost is no longer a factor, but no offers in hand yet)

Feel free to PM a response, if that's more appropriate/comfortable
 
Last edited:
tied so far...Tulane Pharm does have a much smaller class size

I can't comment on difficulty...but as someone who was accepted to all three and has considered each of these programs, I can say that none of these schools have linkages. Of the three, BU MAMS boasts the highest success rate in terms of the % of its graduates successfully matriculating into medical school. I believe it's somewhere around 70%+. Tulane is next, with approximately 2/3 of its class matriculating into a medical school. Both BU and Tulane will put you in medical school classes, but Tulane will only put you in the medical pharmacology class. VCU only offers graduate classes, not medical school classes. The material might be the same, but this is an important distinction when you begin applying to medical school. If I were to put all my chips on one, it would be the BU program.

With a GPA under 3.0, it will take a very long time to take enough credits to bump it over 3.0 Even then, you will not be competitive for direct admission to medical school. An SMP is really your best option, especially since you don't want that MCAT to expire. Best of luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't comment on difficulty...but as someone who was accepted to all three and has considered each of these programs, I can say that none of these schools have linkages. Of the three, BU MAMS boasts the highest success rate in terms of the % of its graduates successfully matriculating into medical school. I believe it's somewhere around 70%+. Tulane is next, with approximately 2/3 of its class matriculating into a medical school. Both BU and Tulane will put you in medical school classes, but Tulane will only put you in the medical pharmacology class. VCU only offers graduate classes, not medical school classes. The material might be the same, but this is an important distinction when you begin applying to medical school. If I were to put all my chips on one, it would be the BU program.

With a GPA under 3.0, it will take a very long time to take enough credits to bump it over 3.0 Even then, you will not be competitive for direct admission to medical school. An SMP is really your best option, especially since you don't want that MCAT to expire. Best of luck.

Thank you for the frank and direct perspective, and the good wishes.

BU seems like the top contender in terms of maximizing medical school coursework, and it is one of the better known/more established programs. However, the combination of their large class size and restrictive grading scheme is something that still lurks in the back of my mind. Not sure if these are only rumours, but I've heard only 5-10% of a class of ~170 can get As in each course? I've yet to have a response from BU on this, but do let me know if I'm mistaken.

I'm wondering if I should factor in perhaps a more supportive (smaller class size/increased faculty ratio & access) to increase chances of success (maximize GPA) at an SMP.
 
Not sure if these are only rumours, but I've heard only 5-10% of a class of ~170 can get As in each course?

Didn't go to BU's SMP, but this must be at least a partial exaggeration. I'd guess there were "specific" classes/professors where no students got A's and the story might have grown from there. You do have to do your research to avoid those classes if at all possible. That bit of randomness is one of the things that turned me off about BU. Still, there was a BU graduate on this board who maintained a 4.0 I think. You might try searching for his and other graduates' posts on the old BU SMP threads.

I do agree with above comment about selecting program with a large number of actual medical school classes, basically programs that are as "true" a SMP as possible. You WANT to be graded against the M1 class curve. BU and Georgetown both boosts 6 I think. I recall BU had "6 medical classes" but their curriculum is so fluid and complicated.
 
Update (not sure if it changes anything):

Waitlisted at RFU and Tufts

No movement on RFU waitlist so far, yet to hear back from Tufts...