Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monique

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the current med students could help me with this one...

I live in Cincinnati right now. I've been on interviews in D.C. and Atlanta and I've thought, "It would be really cool to live here." My problem: I am currently in a two-year relationship with a wonderful man. He just started a new job and couldn't move with me if I left. We're not engaged and when I've asked him about marriage he has no idea when or even if he would marry me.

So, my question is, who out there has stayed in town for a relationship and regretted it? Or who has left town and regretted doing that?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Monique,

That's a really hard one. I usually stay away from these opinion posts but here's my 2 cents anyways.

I'm from Michigan and wanted to move to TN. I had been dating my boyfriend for a yr and we were going down the eventual marriage road. I actually thought that I wouldn't move that far away if it meant breaking us up. Now, 6mths into school (in TN) I realize what a huge mistake that would have been! We're still together and I love it here. If I had stayed behind I would have had major resentment.

You have to do what you have to do for school and yourself. This is especially true in light of the fact that your boyfriend has no idea about your future together and you didn't really say whether you wanted to get married. Even if this is the person you want to marry people do have long distance relationships. It isn't impossible and it isn't unbearable. Unless this is the most incredible person you've ever know and it would end the relationship for you to leave I wouldn't stay.

My last word of advice is that you NEVER know what life will bring your way. You may find someone else, you may stay together who knows. You may find something you never knew you wanted until you find it. Keep your options open and don't let one person make you spend the rest of your life wondering, "what if?". You've come too far and worked too hard for that.

Good luck.

leorl,

i don't think i'm the monique you're thinking of because i really don't know what cjs is. i do go to uc, though. here's a short description: i'm black, about 5'8" and i'm in the engineering college.

it would seem as if there are at least two monique's at uc. ;)