Mar 5, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
so in a patient with cholinergic crisis, the ach which is increased, it only effects the NMJ nicotinic receptors? or does it affect the entire bodies nicotinic receptors?

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
so in a patient with cholinergic crisis, the ach which is increased, it only effects the NMJ nicotinic receptors? or does it affect the entire bodies nicotinic receptors?

Entire body. That's why you see a myriad of symptoms, the "DUMBBLSS" symptoms that are due to activation of the parasympathetic NS

D-diarrhea (parasympathetic activity increases gastric motility and gastric secretion)
U-Urination (contract the trigone/bladder muscles + relax the sphincter)
M-Miosis - due to contraction of the pupillary (constrictor) sphincter muscle
B-Bradycardia (parasympathetic action on the M2 receptors of the heart)
B-Bronchoconstriction (M3)
L-Lacrimation
S-Salivation
S-Sweating

Mar 5, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
right, so does that also affect the sympathetic nervous system? as the SANS also uses nicotinic receptors at their ganglia

About the Ads

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
right, so does that also affect the sympathetic nervous system? as the SANS also uses nicotinic receptors at their ganglia

I don't think so, but I am not sure. I understand what you are saying (since ACh acts at all autonomic ganglia) shouldn't a cholinergic crisis lead to a sympathetic NS response. Maybe someone else can chime in

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Entire body. That's why you see a myriad of symptoms, the "DUMBBLSS" symptoms that are due to activation of the parasympathetic NS

D-diarrhea (parasympathetic activity increases gastric motility and gastric secretion)
L-Lacrimation
S-Salivation
S-Sweating

You answered your own question. Sweating is a sympathetic response accomplished via ACh acting on muscarinic receptors. It's one of the only post-ganglionic neurons within the SANS that utilizes ACh as a neurotransmitter.

thehundredthone

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
It does, but all ganglia get desensitised soon after the initial hyperactivity. Thus all that remains active is the set of postganglionic Ach receptors which are mostly parasympathetic, and thus you see signs of parasympathetic overactivity.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 5, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hmm i see, so i guess my next question is, the muscruanic PANS receptors are less sensitive to overstimulation and they resist desensitization?

Robotman

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 22, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

L-Lacrimation
S-Salivation
S-Sweating

You forgot E- Excitation of muscles and CNS (seizures, confusion)

Mar 5, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
would love to read all those articles, but due to time constraints(step 1) i cant go through all of them. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads