Open angle glaucoma and cholinergic drugs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyohomieg5432

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how cholinergic drugs are helping in the case of open angle glaucoma. Normaly they constrict the pupil which helps open up the canal but I thought that only helps in the case of closed angle?

Members don't see this ad.

cholinergic agonists (M3; e.g. pilocarpine) increase outflow of aqueous humor through opening meshwork (non-uveoscleral). Second to that will produce miosis

They constrict the pupil and open up the meshwork. Pupil constriction is what helps in closed angle, while meshwork opening is what helps in open angle.

cholinergic agonist --> ciliary muscle contracts --> trabecular meshwork opens up --> increased outflow

Theres a diagram somewhere in FA that shows aqueous humor flow and the points where the various glaucoma drugs act.

ok so i was thinking that the purpose of pupil constriction was that it brought the iris away from the trabecular meshwork to open it up.. but there's actually 2 methods by which the cholinergics help... they do what i just mentioned AND open up the trabecular meshwork via a second mechanism? does it create a larger opening in the mesh for more to leak through?