choose specialty 11th and 12th grade

Sheplou8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :D
I'm in the equivalent of 11th grade in the french system's high school. I've been thinking about becoming a doctor for a while and I intend to study in the usa.
In the french system, 11th and 12th grade are kind of specialized. You can choose between economical/sociological sciences , literature and sciences.
Sciences is obviously the most appropriate path to become a doctor but I chose economics and sociology because I don't trust myself , I'm not sure I'll still want to be a doctor one year from now, since I have a really wide range of interests and I usually keep changing my mind. (and still I am really motivated and right now I really want to be a doctor)
Anyway, I have three options :
1- change specialty when the school year starts
2- keep economics for this year and if I haven't changed my mind next year I can repeat 11th grade in scientific class (it won't be a waste of time since I skipped 8th grade) -- wouldn't that be a bad thing for my application ? I'd like to enter a very good university
3- stay in economics/sociology class -- could i still major in biology / apply to medical school ?

What is, in your opinion, the best option?

Members don't see this ad.

You graduate high school, apply to an undergraduate university and then major in whatever you want. I'm willing to bet you have had more rigorous high school classes than the vast majority of people in the US.

After that, you worry about med school.

In general, the courses you take during high school will not affect your medical school application process. Take what you enjoy, do well, and get into the best undergraduate program you can. You'll have plenty of science courses to take in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the answers, it's a relief not having to choose yet !
Now I'll do my best and.. I guess it can only be good to study a little bit of biology on my own, if I have some spare time :D

Area 3 - A mesh of a bunch of socio-economical subjects. Most of my peers chose this area, most of them being people who really had no idea what university degree they'd like to do. It's kind of the area for the person that would like to study something someday but doesn't know what.

Same at my school ! But I chose it because I love history, I like sociology and I didn't really see myself in any scientific career - although I like biology and physics and maths don't bother me to much... I like too many things !
I think I'd better not tell my project of becoming a doctor to my professors, they'd think my choice was stupid (in France, there's no way you can go to med school without a 'bac s' (scientific baccalaureat)).

Now my problem is the SAT. I've been through a couple of subject tests and I don't know the answer to 3/4 of the questions ! I'd like to take Maths 1 and World History. Do you think I could get a very good score just by using prep books? World history is just about facts and, I know a few but I learnt more specifically about French history and it's more about learning how to make a dissertation than learning a series of facts ... so I was wondering if prep books give all the information I might need?
What about prep books for Maths 1 ? Of course I still haven't started my junior year and I'll certainly learn several things but I'm afraid not enough...

I'm completely clueless and stressed out ! :bang:

Now my problem is the SAT. I've been through a couple of subject tests and I don't know the answer to 3/4 of the questions ! I'd like to take Maths 1 and World History. Do you think I could get a very good score just by using prep books? World history is just about facts and, I know a few but I learnt more specifically about French history and it's more about learning how to make a dissertation than learning a series of facts ... so I was wondering if prep books give all the information I might need?
What about prep books for Maths 1 ? Of course I still haven't started my junior year and I'll certainly learn several things but I'm afraid not enough...

I'm completely clueless and stressed out ! :bang:

I'd recommend Princeton Review for the SAT II World History test. Idk about Math I though.

Do whatever. If you go to undergrad in the US, you will be taking introductory science classes at first anyways. They may be a little easier if you study science in HS, but there's plenty of people in bio 101, for example, that haven't taken a biology course since 9th grade that still do fine.