Choosing a major late in the game..help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beauregard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short (or maybe not even so short..) I started out college with an English major.. discovered I hated it, flirted with nursing/public health stuff, and have finally settled on a (maybe) biology degree.

Say I get all of the pre-reqs out of the way plus biochem, genetics, and histology/animal physiology classes, will it really hurt my chances to not have a biology/chemistry major?? If I go that route it will take me at least 5 years total (probably more like 5.5). Or I could have the pre-reqs plus the extra 'helpful' classes with a BA in Liberal Arts Studies (because of all the English hours) in 4.5.

What would you do? Will it look worse to take a long time for the Bio major or to be done sooner, but with a more general degree?

All of this is assuming, of course, that I do well on the MCAT and maintain my current GPA (3.97).

I have volunteer experience (Free Clinic, Big Bro/Sis), clubs, and had 2 jobs throughout college (working in an ER and an urgent care center).

I'm not trying to go Top 10 or anything, just state schools most likely (Kentucky, Tennesse, or Alabama,)

Also, this may be a completely ridiculous question or asked a lot, and if so I'm sorry. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated though. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The standard medical school line seems to be that your major doesn't matter.

I have found that the only downside of a Liberal Arts Degree is if for some reason you find that medicine isn't something you choose to pursue, a Liberal Arts Degree will basically do nothing for you. I don't know of anyone personally who has a Liberal Arts degree and has pursued medical school (I'm sure they are out there), but I would suspect admissions committees would be curious as to why you would choose liberal arts -- however, as long as your stats are good, you should be fine, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to have a biology or chemistry major. My school has a lot of visiting medical students come and talk to undergrad, and I've seen majors ranging from history to physics. A lot of people go chemistry or biology because it gets the prereqs out of the way and might help prepare for med school, but it's certainly not required.

Erm, classically defined, most sciences fall within the liberal arts. However, when you say "liberal arts" I think you mean "humanities."

One of my friends last year went to JHU with a B.A. in Econ. Another applied a few years back with a B.A. in History and ended up at IU. It's pretty common.

I'm a liberal arts major who spent the last year doing a post-bac program to get my requirements out of the way. I went to St. John's College so it's as liberal arts as it gets. If anything, the non-science major has been an asset. It makes for a great talking point during interviews. Of course the interviewer will want to know what brought the change on, but if you have a great answer to that question (and I presume you do because you're starting this vocation) the interview can go to great places. I also think the interviewer will be more likely to remember you which helps. Anyway, with your stats there's no reason you can't be top 10 which is the real point.

I guess I've never really thought about a Liberal Arts (humanities) degree being anything except a red flag.. but now it does seem that it might be a good way to make me stand out in a sea of Bio majors. :D

The only thing that really worries me is the lack of research I've done.. it's actually kind of hard to get research credits at my school if you're not a biology major. It's all about the numbers of majors..

Also, what do you do about your LORs?? My school has a Pre-med advisory committee that makes all references.. what are my chances at getting good references if I'm not one of their majors?

I'm not trying to go Top 10 or anything, just state schools most likely (Kentucky, Tennesse, or Alabama,)

Agree with all of the above. I'll also add that these schools accept less than 5% from out of state, and most of those have strong ties and much higher stats. So if you live in AL, you've got a great chance at UAB or USA, but your chances of getting into KY or TN school(s) are slim to none.

Agree with all of the above. I'll also add that these schools accept less than 5% from out of state, and most of those have strong ties and much higher stats. So if you live in AL, you've got a great chance at UAB or USA, but your chances of getting into KY or TN school(s) are slim to none.

I actually live in Kentucky, but have strong ties to Alabama..
I have a 4.0 science GPA, 3.97 total.

Residents of Kentucky are lucky though supposedly since we have 2 state schools. Louisville usually accepts 20% out of state and UK 15% though.