Choosing a Major..SOMEBODY HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shun

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!!

I am a senior in high school and my post-graduation plans are to attend the University of Southern Mississippi and obtain a B. S. in Psychology and complete the pre-med program.

I would like to know if what field of study I obtain a degree in plays a big part in getting excepted into medical school? Is it necessary to major in a biological science, chemistry, etc? Do people who major in a field of science have a better chance of being excepted into medical school than someone who dosn't?
If you don't mind maybe some of you could share with me what major you chose in college? I hope I have not asked to many questions but I have been stressing over this and all the high school quidance counselors seem to do is give me the run around,such as: "Choose a field you would like to go into besides medicine". I figured I would have better luck asking someone who has been where I am trying to go, that is why I came here for help. Also,what is the difference between med/ped and ped?
For my final question, has anyone attended the University of Mississippi Medical Center? If so would you please share with me your experiences as a med student or resident at the university?

SO SOMEBODY ANYBODY PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
ANY KIND OF HELP will be Greatly APPRECIATED.

Shun

Members don't see this ad.

Easy there,my friend. If you're a senior in HS and your college plans are set (which they seem to be), the last thing you should be stressing about is med school. But since you asked, you can major in anything and get accepted to med school as long as you take the required courses. The majority of people major in the sciences, which simply reflects the their interest, not because it offers an inherent advantage. The important thing is to do well in whatever you major in.

Enjoy senior year!

Anything goes, I majored in Art and it hasn't hurt me, and It is a great way to have another circle of people other than stressed out pre-meds to hang with. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
"Anything goes" is absolutely correct. Art, Music, Biology, Chemistry, Under water basket weaving :D (just kidding of course), it doesn't matter what your major is. As long as you are majoring in something that is right for you. Only you know what that might be. [And I mean that sincerely, if you don't the Adcom's, esp. your interviewers, will know.] Medical schools in general admit well-rounded students. Some would even say that you might have a better chance of getting in if you stay away from the science majors, that obviously is not proven fact, but has been implied in some circles. In general stick with a major that you like. Not a major that you "think" will get you accepted. Furthermore, remember that not everyone gets accepted into medical school. You should always have a backup plan. Pick a major that will work for you in life w/o med school as well as life w/ med school. (I.e. try not to major in pre-med studies.) It's not hard to do. Go for it, it's never too soon to start planning. You are defiantly on the right track. :cool: Another bit of advice: depending on how long you have been planning on going to med school, meaning if you have been aware of the weight of your grades and extra curricular activities, I.e. volunteering, you might want to try early acceptance to medical school. Some schools have the program and some don't, so look into it. I believe the program is an all-inclusive curriculum that lasts 5 or 6 yrs. (don't quote me on that. I'm not sure on the time line.) Anyway I hope this helps and good luck. If you would like a few web addresses on the subject of early acceptance feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

This is all great and true, but there are DEFINITE benefits to being a biology major. First off, if your inital bio/chem/physics classes don't work out all that well, you'll have plenty of opportunities to show off your science stuff later on. Secondly, yes the lower division bio classes do cover the stuff you need for the MCAT, but upper division classes in the material make sure you know it. You'll be in classes with a lot of other pre-meds who can give you advice and support (as well as keeping you competitive). And finally, unlike with psychology, the pre-med requirements are already part of the major, no extra work to do that might stress you out and lower your GPA. So...I'd change over to bio, but then I love the subject and if you don't, that might not be possible.

yes the lower division bio classes do cover the stuff you need for the MCAT, but upper division classes in the material make sure you know it.
Along with my Art major (sculpture) I also doubled in biology. I did so because I love them both, not to get ahead or to "make up" for the art. Having the extra bio classes was great, and I enjoyed the upper level classes alot more than the intro ones. :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey
You don't need to major on a science field to get accepted to medical school. Major on what interests you. Some medical schools like to see well rounded applicants, there are a lot of english, history, philosophy, etc...majors, not just science. As I said, major on what interests you but do good on your premed courses so that med schools can see you can do good in science and non-science academics.

Good Luck!
:) :cool:

Hey shun,
It's pretty cool you want to go to USM...I from Mississippi myself, and my brother attends USM. Just out of curiosity, where are you from? I have read a lot about the U of Mississippi and it seems like an excellent school. I think being that it is in Mississippi it has a little more laid back atmosphere than a lot of other more"prestigious" schools. But believe it or not it is very well respected. And Jackson isnt such a bad place either. I personally decided I needed to get out of Mississippi(I actually wasnt even premed then, so I came to FSU for their meteorology program). At any rate, you should do what makes you happy. I'm majoring in Exercise Physiology and loving it. My biggest piece of advice is when you get to college, be commited to being pre-med, that is work hard in your classes and volunteer, but dont lose sight of everything else in life. There is more out there than organic chemistry so find it and enjoy yourself. Good luck!