Will me choosing to go to med school help the physician shortage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash630

Reaction score
I've been considering a (admittedly, somewhat crazy) career change from law to medicine (I'm 28 yo, no debt, did all pre-med coursework in college). I only realized now that my personality fits better with medicine. On top of that, I've been hearing and reading about the looming physician shortage in the US and that makes me want to the "heed the call" and go for it. But if the number of med school graduates outnumbers the number of residency spots, will I really be making much of a difference in the shortage?
I know docs are most needed in rural areas, but I don't think I could see myself living in a rural area long term.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been considering a (admittedly, somewhat crazy) career change from law to medicine (I'm 28 yo, no debt, did all pre-med coursework in college). I only realized now that my personality fits better with medicine. On top of that, I've been hearing and reading about the looming physician shortage in the US and that makes me want to the "heed the call" and go for it. But if the number of med school graduates outnumbers the number of residency spots, will I really be making much of a difference in the shortage?
I know docs are most needed in rural areas, but I don't think I could see myself living in a rural area long term.
Any individual can make a difference in the lives of those they touch, but the number of physicians is not determined by the number of applicants or even the number of medical students. The rate limiting step is accredited residency positions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If you really want to improve things, and you aren't totally onboard with treating patients one by one in rural (or poor urban) areas, then maybe you could make a career shift to public policy, particularly healthcare policy.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users