Oct 31, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey! I'm looking for a bit of objective advice. I am currently an indecisive 1st year, I am currently a biology major. I like biology a lot but I feel like with the pre-requisites plus professional school (pre-vet or pre-pharmacy (unlikely but possible pre-med or pre-dent), again indecisive) that I will have plenty of science time. I really love social sciences/studies too and if the health profession didn't work out I'd be completely happy in those fields.

I can do the prerequisites two class a semester (as a double bio/chem minor) and then have my major classes (10 total). I am really unsure which major though I would like to pursue I am considering Sociology, Religious Studies, Philosophy or English. I like all of them and I really could see myself doing well in any of them. I've taken classes or will be taking next semester in each of them but I am worried I won't be able to decide or make a decision that will later hurt my chances.

Does anyone have any advice how to choose or how you chose your major? Anyone have anything to say about getting a non-science degree before pursuing a science based career?

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hey! I'm looking for a bit of objective advice. I am currently an indecisive 1st year, I am currently a biology major. I like biology a lot but I feel like with the pre-requisites plus professional school (pre-vet or pre-pharmacy (unlikely but possible pre-med or pre-dent), again indecisive) that I will have plenty of science time. I really love social sciences/studies too and if the health profession didn't work out I'd be completely happy in those fields.

I can do the prerequisites two class a semester (as a double bio/chem minor) and then have my major classes (10 total). I am really unsure which major though I would like to pursue I am considering Sociology, Religious Studies, Philosophy or English. I like all of them and I really could see myself doing well in any of them. I've taken classes or will be taking next semester in each of them but I am worried I won't be able to decide or make a decision that will later hurt my chances.

Does anyone have any advice how to choose or how you chose your major? Anyone have anything to say about getting a non-science degree before pursuing a science based career?
Hi there - I'm a humanities degree holder that is currently in pharmacy school, and many of my peers here on SDN are also! So don't let that deter you. As long as you can knock out the pre-requisites, you'll be fine no matter if your major is in biology or basketweaving. There are a couple of caveats that I'd like to point out as a matter of housekeeping though:

1. you say you'd be happy in religious studies, english, or whatever. But do you know what kind of work a degree holder in religious studies or english might pursue? Consider projecting your education out to your graduation point and ask yourself what fields you'll need to work in with your degree. If you don't know, maybe you should reconsider why you're in college instead of just working. So, so many of my friends who had degrees like me (and even me...) were SOL after graduation, and this was in 2004, during the Great American Boom Time. Something to think about.

2. Some schools have insanely rigorous pre-requisites. Consider USC, for example. They want mammalion physiology, biochemistry and cell biology. True, many non-science majors (Like Psych for instance) WILL allow you to complete most pre-requisites in your 4 years, but I don't know if you'd be able to take Biochem. I wasn't... I had to take Biochem in an open university a'la carte manner from a 4 year school in order to satisfy Biochem in order to consider applying to USC.

So chew on that for a bit... Hope I could help.