Choosing a program based on fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abolt18

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been reading the anesthesia forum for a long time. 3rd year MS. I've been searching recently to find an answer or similar thread to my question but haven't identified one (I may have weak searching skills). I'm planning to apply to anesthesia, with significant interest in critical care. Now to my question.

Is there any benefit to doing residency at a program with an associated critical care fellowship? Do i need to pursue a big name anesthesia program? Does any of that even matter?

Just trying to figure out into which baskets to put my eggs, or at least significant considerations I need to make. Thank you in advance for your input. I admire and appreciate you all for your opinions and guidance you share on these boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told it is better to do your fellowship at a different program than your residency so that you obtain a different perspective. Another thought is you would get greater exposure to CC at a place that didn't have a fellowship (would work be transferred onto residents?), but I would love to hear opinions on these ideas as well.

I'm ranking programs with the fellowships I'm interested in higher than those without. Fellowships in anesthesia are only 1 year so to me it doesn't make sense to move my family for that short period of time. I've had many residents tell me similar advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a matter of personal preference. Do you want to mover again for one year then turn around and possibly have to move again for a job? Or would you prefer to do all you training in one location but limit the perspective (in-bred programs especially)? What's most important to YOU?

I think it is reasonable to make that one of your priorities but should not be a necessity. Going to a program that has a fellowship is not a bad idea. It gives you the option to stay on an extra year and not worry about moving. Also, it is likely that the Attendings there will be more connected than a program without a fellowship (obviously a generic statement and not always true).

Just remember you may change your mind and prefer to do CT, pain, peds, etc ... or just want to finish up and go straight to work and finally make money. In the end, choose the best program that you feel comfortable with. If you have two equal programs and one has a fellowship, rank that one higher. Just my 2 cents.

I was told it is better to do your fellowship at a different program than your residency so that you obtain a different perspective. Another thought is you would get greater exposure to CC at a place that didn't have a fellowship (would work be transferred onto residents?), but I would love to hear opinions on these ideas as well.
Yeah I'd heard it's good to train at a different location to get a different perspective, but as others mentioned, then you're moving for only a year. I've accepted that my career will move me at least a few more times, but I've definitely been hoping to move as little as possible.

The other factor is that Critical Care is not very competitive right now. So, to go to a subpar program because they have a great CC fellowship would be unwise. I have heard of people doing it to get their foot in the door at a really good pain program that is attached to a subpar residency. In my opinion, not needed for Critical Care.
You may choose to do it to avoid moving, but I agree with the others that you should choose your program based on the program. The fellowships will be a bonus if they work out.

go to the best program you can. many, if not most, people change their minds, especially about critical care. i think 2/3rds of the people in my class came in wanting to do CC and less than 20% ended up doing the fellowship. the good news is that most good critical care programs are at good academic residencies, so it should be easy to find a good residency that also has a good fellowship.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone. Your input has been helpful and is appreciated. I guess I'll just concern myself with residency (best program and best fit I can) and worry about CC later.