Choosing a Vet School with multiple offers?

Started by VetHead
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VetHead

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that it's incredibly lucky for me that I even get to consider choosing a vet school from several offers, but I was hoping to get some insight from people who attend or have graduated from one of the schools I'm considering. I want to have a small animal focus.
As a WICHE sponsored student I can pay in-state tuition at CSU, OSU or WSU. I also applied to Wisconsin as an out-of-state student, and they haven't sent out decisions yet. For those of you who had to choose, what made you pick one school over the other(s)? Any advice or musings will be appreciated. Thanks!
 
I know that it's incredibly lucky for me that I even get to consider choosing a vet school from several offers, but I was hoping to get some insight from people who attend or have graduated from one of the schools I'm considering. I want to have a small animal focus.
As a WICHE sponsored student I can pay in-state tuition at CSU, OSU or WSU. I also applied to Wisconsin as an out-of-state student, and they haven't sent out decisions yet. For those of you who had to choose, what made you pick one school over the other(s)? Any advice or musings will be appreciated. Thanks!

I can't really help you because I only applied to one school, but here are some threads you might look at. Your situation might be a little different because you can get IS tuition at three of the schools. Still try to calculate it all out as best you can. I'm not sure of the tuition rates of the schools you were accepted into, but there could still be quite a difference when you figure out the cost of 4 years vs just 1.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=796970&highlight=how+to+choose

And I'm sure you've read it because it's been posted in recently, but:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=604239&highlight=like+dislike+school

I would look into their curriculum. The amount of time my school gives us for clinics was the cherry on top of the tuition sundae for me.

It doesn't really come up here on SDN often, but I've heard it mentioned while giving tours. I don't personally think the NAVLE pass rate is anything to base your decision on. All of them do well enough, and really, a lot of that is on the individual; the school can only do so much.

The city is also one to look into. If you just wouldn't be happy in the type of area that a vet school is, then maybe it's not the one for you.
 
<h1>http://www.aavmc.org/Admissions-and-Applications/Acceptance-Deadline.aspx


AAVMC Admissions Policy

​
April 15th Acceptance Deadline Policy​

​
In order to grant member schools enough time to complete their admissions processes and for applicants to make informed admissions decisions, schools will not require applicants to decide upon admissions offers, scholarships and financial aid, until April 15. To ensure applicant awareness of this policy, the schools will attach the policy to all admissions offer letters. If April 15 falls upon a weekend, the date will be shifted to the next Monday.


This policy does not apply to the following schools:

  • International Schools
  • Tuskegee University
Approved by the AAVMC Board of Directors​
July 17, 2011​


</h1>
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard nothing but good things about all of those schools - congratulations! Since costs is not an issue, and board pass rates are pretty much equal for all schools, I would ask yourself where you would want to live most. It is much better to be happy where you are living for four years than not, especially during the rigors of vet school.
 
Definitely agree about picking a location you'd be happy living in for the next 4 years. At this point, I think it really comes down to personal preference.

One thing I might consider on top of location is class size, which I think varies quite a bit between the three. CSU is about 140, WSU is I think around 100, and Oregon is teeny tiny right? I think there are advantages and disadvantages to big and small class sizes, and it's really personal preference, but I thought it might be something to look into. I wouldn't worry so much about whether there will be enough teaching resources, because at least at CSU they're pretty good about chopping the class into little groups when you need demos that require hands-on stuff. But if you're someone who's sensitive to this kind of stuff, it might make a difference to you how many people you are canned into the same room with every day for many long hours. And as much as I think professors try to make themselves available, chances are, you'll prob get to know them better in a smaller class.

Another thing that might be worth looking into is whether there's a big case-load difference/opportunities in the particular field you're interested in. It's definitely not an end all be all, since you can find opportunities off campus and go on off-campus externships and such, but it's something to look into.

And do all of those schools track? If not, that might be something to think about as well.
 
Pick whichever is cheapest -- both tuition and fees as well as cost of living.

If you're independently wealthy and not paying with loans, you can disregard this.
 
I had the hardest time deciding between my two schools when I got accepted. Ultimately I talked to everyone I trusted as a mentor-vets, old bosses, friends, etc. I ran the numbers and decided it wasn't worth the extra cost to go somewhere else when I got accepted to another really good school. I do hate the weather everyday and wish I could be in my warmer school choice, but it would not have been worth the crazy extra debt. Location is a big deal, but I love my school and I wouldn't go back and change my choice.