Choosing between activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radnerd

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I am applying this upcoming 2023-2024 cycle and was kind of hung up on deciding between two activities and which one I should put on my AMCAS app.

1. Without revealing too much, I was part of a living-learning community during one academic year, during which we traveled to a few cities to learn about public health and also did a capstone project as a group. I feel like the individual contributions weren't anything much, but I did have to apply/interview to get into it..

2. I have received various departmental honors and awards from my university that's more than just honor societies and Latin honors/dean's list. I am not sure how impactful these would be on the app and don't really know how adcoms see these awards.

I can not include both because all other activity sections are already filled.

I would appreciate all feedback because otherwise I feel good about the rest of activities that I have!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would leave off the awards. Personally I don't see most awards as adding anything to an application, because what is important is the activity that led to the award (whether that's GPA, research productivity, leadership on campus, etc.), and we already have access to all that information. Exception would be things like a Rhodes or Fulbright scholar where that "award" comes along with a significant experience of some sort.

Reactions: 3 users
I would leave off the awards. Personally I don't see most awards as adding anything to an application, because what is important is the activity that led to the award (whether that's GPA, research productivity, leadership on campus, etc.), and we already have access to all that information. Exception would be things like a Rhodes or Fulbright scholar where that "award" comes along with a significant experience of some sort.
Great point. Thank you.
Should I list those awards with their relevant activities?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)