Clincal volunteering hours split between 5 activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mweircat

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In total, so far, I have accumulated around 300 clinical volunteering hours, but they are split between 5 different activities (i/e one is hospital, another is hospice, another one is through a college organization) I'm just a bit worried if this is ok/seen negatively and if adcoms will add up all of them together? I'm mainly doing different activities because there is only limited amount of hours I can do per activity per week (i/e the college organization one meets biweekly) and I honestly enjoy working with different patient populations
 
This is fine but, unfortunately, if you are to list all 5 separately, it will take up 33% of your total allotted slots in the Work&Activity section of your application. You are not obligated to list them all so if some are just a few hours you can leave it out.

You can also, if it fits the narrative, note in your personal statement that your experiences with A, B, and C have helped you to discover /confirm your interest in xyz and your interest in becoming a physician specializing in ___. (care of children with complex medical needs, the elderly, cancer patients, etc ... it is not going out on a limb to specify an interest without specifying a specialty which many will warn against.)