Choosing between dream research job and paid clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velociraptor193

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an offer to continue the research I’ve been doing for the past few years, albeit at my dream medical school with a well-respected PI/faculty member. It matches well with my passion, and a high-quality publication is almost guaranteed to be likely.

However, my application only has ~50 hours of clinical experience thus far. While I can do some clinical volunteering at the nearby hospital, I also need to study for the MCAT. With the full-time position and MCAT studying (extended over 6 months), I estimate around 300 hours of clinical experience at the time of application and 550 projected, which is definitely on the lower side.

Should I turn down the position to pursue getting more clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Where will you be at the end of the cycle if you don't get admittted to medical school? If you forego the research position and get the clinical experience but don't get into medical school, what will you do for the second gap year? If you take the research position and don't get in, what will you do during the second gap year? Which scenario would have you living with more regret for what might have been? Which situation will have you in a better position in terms of employment if you need to work while preparing for a second round of applications?

If you apply with 300 hours of clinical experince accomplished and more anticipated, you should be fine but if you are not, for any reason, which fork in the road will be the path you'll be happier on if the journey takes a few years?

Reactions: 3 users
50 hours is low, but if you have 300 hours of clinical experience by the time you apply, you’re more than fine. That’s not on the low side (your perspective is warped by what you see online).

Take the research job since that’s what you really want to do and the publication will be a standout, but do continue volunteering in the hospital and shadow here and there.

Reactions: 2 users
Where will you be at the end of the cycle if you don't get admittted to medical school? If you forego the research position and get the clinical experience but don't get into medical school, what will you do for the second gap year? If you take the research position and don't get in, what will you do during the second gap year? Which scenario would have you living with more regret for what might have been? Which situation will have you in a better position in terms of employment if you need to work while preparing for a second round of applications?

If you apply with 300 hours of clinical experince accomplished and more anticipated, you should be fine but if you are not, for any reason, which fork in the road will be the path you'll be happier on if the journey takes a few years?
Wow, that really makes things so much clearer. The research position makes a lot more sense when you put it like that. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users