2112_rush

M2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hi. Here's my situation:

I've been accepted at my public state school and Wake Forest. Now I have to choose which one to attend. Wake has a great curriculum and a strong reputation, but costs alot of money; the state school is also good, but more imprtantly offerred me a full scholarship. Any of your input is greatly appreciated.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by 2112_rush
Hi. Here's my situation:

I've been accepted at my public state school and Wake Forest. Now I have to choose which one to attend. Wake has a great curriculum and a strong reputation, but costs alot of money; the state school is also good, but more imprtantly offerred me a full scholarship. Any of your input is greatly appreciated.
Every time I see a post like this, I promise myself the next time I won't be surprised. Every time so far, I've failed. I can't believe how many SDNers (not just meds) are smitten with the idea of spending $200,000 they can avoid.

I'm not trying to offend, and apologize if I have, but for cripes' sake--you've even admitted that your state school has a "good" program. That's a hell of a marginal cost to make the comparatively small step to WF's "great" one. Stay in-state, buy a house, and start investing. You'll end up a whole decade ahead of the financial game compared to some of your classmates, and it'll be a huge monkey off your back.

lizzylu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
SF
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I agree...
If the school were Johns Hopkins or Harvard, then yes the reputation will help. But it sounds like you're alright w/ the state school, so then save the $. That's what I'm doing

About the Ads

lowbudget

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2003
Please go to your state school. You'll smile when it's 3 am, you're exhausted, dirty, and you ask yourself, "GOD, did I pay for this?... oh wait, no I didn't."

remedy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2004
Status (Visible)
I completely agree with the above posts - take the full-ride!

DrBravesgirl

Surgeon for a year
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2002
chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm assuming by the "location" thing on your profile that the state school in question is UMC...don't discount it. It's a great school, and people from there have gone on to be successful doctors in all parts of the country. In my instance, the decision came down to UMC and a private school (where I will be spending 200k easily), and there were different circumstances that led me to choose the private school, but believe me when I say that I sit down and wonder whether it was really worth the extra money or not. Just my $.02

pud129

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
If you could see me now, you would see that I am shaking my head in amazement.... Don't be silly, take the full ride. You're so damn lucky to have a full ride anywhere. wow.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.