Choosing between med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2112_rush

M2
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Here's my situation:

I've been accepted at my public state school and Wake Forest. Now I have to choose which one to attend. Wake has a great curriculum and a strong reputation, but costs alot of money; the state school is also good, but more imprtantly offerred me a full scholarship. Any of your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by 2112_rush
Hi. Here's my situation:

I've been accepted at my public state school and Wake Forest. Now I have to choose which one to attend. Wake has a great curriculum and a strong reputation, but costs alot of money; the state school is also good, but more imprtantly offerred me a full scholarship. Any of your input is greatly appreciated.
Every time I see a post like this, I promise myself the next time I won't be surprised. Every time so far, I've failed. I can't believe how many SDNers (not just meds) are smitten with the idea of spending $200,000 they can avoid.

I'm not trying to offend, and apologize if I have, but for cripes' sake--you've even admitted that your state school has a "good" program. That's a hell of a marginal cost to make the comparatively small step to WF's "great" one. Stay in-state, buy a house, and start investing. You'll end up a whole decade ahead of the financial game compared to some of your classmates, and it'll be a huge monkey off your back.

I agree...
If the school were Johns Hopkins or Harvard, then yes the reputation will help. But it sounds like you're alright w/ the state school, so then save the $. That's what I'm doing

Members don't see this ad :)
Please go to your state school. You'll smile when it's 3 am, you're exhausted, dirty, and you ask yourself, "GOD, did I pay for this?... oh wait, no I didn't."

I completely agree with the above posts - take the full-ride!

I'm assuming by the "location" thing on your profile that the state school in question is UMC...don't discount it. It's a great school, and people from there have gone on to be successful doctors in all parts of the country. In my instance, the decision came down to UMC and a private school (where I will be spending 200k easily), and there were different circumstances that led me to choose the private school, but believe me when I say that I sit down and wonder whether it was really worth the extra money or not. Just my $.02

If you could see me now, you would see that I am shaking my head in amazement.... Don't be silly, take the full ride. You're so damn lucky to have a full ride anywhere. wow.