Choosing between SCO and UHCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocereTruth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have the honor of having been accepted to both SCO and UHCO and am trying to make a final decision on where to attend. UHCO had always been my top choice school primarily due to its proximity (3 hours away from home) for me and how great of a program it is.

For SCO, the pros would be:
- I received a regional contract seat and a scholarship which would help me save an overall $50,000 just tuition/fee wise after 4 years.
- Felt more welcomed by the faculty and students when I interviewed
- Really affordable cost of living in Memphis

The main con about SCO would be that I'd live ~7ish hours away from home (being close to family is important to me).

What advice would you give to me? I believe I'd receive equally phenomenal education at both institutions, but I guess it comes down to choosing being in less debt after graduation or being closer to family throughout the 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Less debt,higher board scores and a perceived more caring atmosphere.Seems the answer is sitting on a tee for you.

You will be incredibly busy at both institutions and going home very little in most cases.

This may sound rough, but don't let your family hold you back. It's only 7 hours, which is a reasonable driving distance. Plus, all the pros you listed are REALLY GOOD pros! I'd love to attend a school that had that impression on me, plus you'll be saving a ton of money. Then maybe after the 4 years you'll be able to work at a practice near your family.

SCOOOOOOO

Haha both institutions are great but about two years ago I was in the same position as you. I think it really depends on how you want to practice after school.

SCO is known for their eye clinic. It's constantly busy (I have yet to get out of clinic before 6:30pm lol) which means you have SO much patient exposure and a lot of disease There hasn't been a day yet that I haven't seen some sort of retinopathy.

Houston on the other hand is heavy with research.

I knew for me I wanted more clinical education so ultimately I chose SCO.

Either choice is good- you just have to find the best fit for you!

Reactions: 1 users