Choosing between September 28 and January 17 test dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sajeunesse

RN -> PreMed
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have the choice between a Sep 28 and Jan 17 test date. I am unable to decide, I don't want to test twice. I need the MCAT for post-bacc programs.

Sep 28
Pros: Online uni in September, not taking any classes in July/August.
Cons: I am working 8 hours a day 4 days a week, and it is already July. I still need to take Org II and have not taken Biochem.

Jan 17
Pros: More time to study (Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec). Will have finished my final exams by Dec 20.
Cons: Will have online university with 4-5 courses. I still need to take Org II and have not taken Biochem.

Members don't see this ad.

Option C: a later date when you have taken orgo 2 and biochemistry.

biochemistry is the single most important class for the mcat as it’s concepts permeate all other sections except cars. Find a free online version if necessary but take biochemistry first. Taking the mcat before biochemistry is risky - you don’t want to have to take it again. Too many people have earned subpar scores by taking the mcat before they were best positioned to do well due to an arbitrary timeline.

If you never took biochemistry, studying it by yourself will take at least two weeks under the assumption that everything clicks for you. Biochemistry is one of the highesty yield topics on the MCAT. You should take your time learning biochemistry with KA or educator.com. Don't rush it and take the MCAT when you're ready based on your practice AAMC FL scores.

Option C: a later date when you have taken orgo 2 and biochemistry.

biochemistry is the single most important class for the mcat as it’s concepts permeate all other sections except cars. Find a free online version if necessary but take biochemistry first. Taking the mcat before biochemistry is risky - you don’t want to have to take it again. Too many people have earned subpar scores by taking the mcat before they were best positioned to do well due to an arbitrary timeline.
Thanks for the advice. I won't have a chance to take biochem in a formal setting before I can take the MCAT, but I'll find an online course.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you never took biochemistry, studying it by yourself will take at least two weeks under the assumption that everything clicks for you. Biochemistry is one of the highesty yield topics on the MCAT. You should take your time learning biochemistry with KA or educator.com. Don't rush it and take the MCAT when you're ready based on your practice AAMC FL scores.
Thank you! I will do so

Thanks for the advice. I won't have a chance to take biochem in a formal setting before I can take the MCAT, but I'll find an online course.
Check out Dr. Alain Viel’s in-line biochemistry course. You can still find it for free on different platforms.