Choosing Between Two Topics for Obstacle Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girl on the Move

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some insight into how to approach the "Describe an obstacle you've overcome and how it has defined you" prompt for a secondary. I have two potential topics that I would use (I already have an essay written for each of them), but how vague the prompt is has made choosing a little difficult. The two topics would be:
  1. Seeking assistance from co-workers for guidance in completing a task I'm struggling with
  2. Having to work to pay for college, and what I've learned
My fear with the first topic is that it's not necessarily a monumental obstacle, more like a learning experience (it hasn't necessarily defined who I am as a person). The second I feel is fairly generic, so I'm a little apprehensive about going that route.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that neither one looks to be that ideal. I would recommend spending a little more time brainstorming ideas before moving forward. There has to be something you haven't fully explored yet like injuries, teamwork issues, COVID, a failure at your job or trouble dealing with customers/patients (something in addition to the co-worker thing), musical instruments, hobbies, etc.

Reactions: 1 user