Choosing Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian IB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of choosing majors and I was hoping that someone could help me a bit with this.

I am going to do a science major sure but I would also like to do a French minor with that. If I do a French minor on top of the science major, I will have to take a much higher course load in order to graduate in 4 years.

Do med schools like to see humanities students over science students? Even if they do, I don't know if I would be considered as a humanities student since I am going to graduate with a BSc.

Basically, Would doing a French minor make me look like a more desirable applicant since I will hopefully, stand out from the other science students.

Members don't see this ad.

You're major doesn't matter. You could major in magic and still get in, that is, as long as you have your prerequisites and proved that you are capable handling your material. Take French only if you really want it, to tell the truth no will care in the long run.

Again, your major doesn't matter (BS could be arguably better than a BA). Do what you enjoy and maintain a strong GPA. I rarely ever look at the major when I interview applicants.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student (8 days left)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not major in French and do the pre-reqs? Maybe pick up a chem or bio minor if you end up having enough time? Just a thought. As said above, major does not add much more than a topic of conversation on the interview trail. But you never know, one of your interviewers may speak French and it could give you that edge.

Major in what you enjoy. If a science major is where you think you'll get the highest gpa and be most happy in, then go for it.

I'm amazed when I see tons of pre-med's doing biology and basically in awe when they see me and other non-science major pre-meds. So please don't feel pressured to do a science major unless you want to.

Agree with serenade and everyone else here. Do something you will be somewhat passionate about. The less you are interested/better in the material, the higher chance you will have a lower GPA as a result. Remember to do well in your pre-reqs if your non-sci (even if your a sci major too) since there will be no other alternative to show your competence in science.

I kind of wish I majored in magic now...

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Why not major in French and do the pre-reqs? Maybe pick up a chem or bio minor if you end up having enough time? Just a thought. As said above, major does not add much more than a topic of conversation on the interview trail. But you never know, one of your interviewers may speak French and it could give you that edge.

:thumbup: Many would argue that having a degree in a foreign language is much more beneficial to a future doctor than a biology degree.

:beat: