Choosing risky MMEs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheepsitter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MME do not, repeat, do not have to be clinical, research, academic, etc in nature. MME are designed to illustrate the important experiences of your life, the lessons or impact these experiences they have had on you, and, if possible, show your attributes, personal characteristics, and traits that could the adcom some insight into who you are really are.
that said, idk if a hobby is worthwhile to make an MME unless it's truly very formative or you're very accomplished in it. what's the hobby

my personal philosophy is that the MMEs should be things where you have more to say than can fit in the regular word count. If you don't have more to say about your clinical activities than the normal length description, no point in making them your MME. I think your sport sounds like a great MME and the extra word count will allow you to expand on all the aspects that you listed

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a sport. I did a lot of miscellaneous things for it.

- was president for my university's club
- competed some local college competitions for it
- organized a competition for it at my university
- had a paid employment position for it during university
- volunteer with people who have disabilities to help them participate in this activity currently 3hr/week
- volunteer judge for youth competitions

I'm not incredibly accomplished in it, but it is genuinely a big part of my life.
Is there no other category athletics could fall under than hobby? I can't remember off the top of my head, but that would be surprising.

It's a sport. I did a lot of miscellaneous things for it.

- was president for my university's club
- competed some local college competitions for it
- organized a competition for it at my university
- had a paid employment position for it during university
- volunteer with people who have disabilities to help them participate in this activity currently 3hr/week
- volunteer judge for youth competitions

I'm not incredibly accomplished in it, but it is genuinely a big part of my life.
Sounds like MME to me!

• Care
One of my MMEs was not science or medicine related at all (it was a clubs sport) and it didn't seem to affect my application at all! If upu are able to reflect on why it was a meaningful experience, and talk about what you learned from it, then by all means go for it!

• Care
I think their closest category is intercollegiate athletics and I feel like that doesn't classify what I did very well. It's a bit awkward because it's a mix of leadership hours (I led practices for 6-8 hr/week)/paid employment/volunteering + me practicing the sport in my own time but I do it so often that it would be a little ridiculous to try counting all those hours haha. Maybe I could call it leadership? Because I planned events for it and led my team? The adcoms read the descriptions anyways does the actual category matter that much?

I think after this discussion I'll definitely choose it as one of my MME. I learned so much through it and could talk about it on end for hours. And like another commentor said above my clinical experiences can be summed up in the 700 character boxes they give us and I don't feel like shoehorning in patient stories when they'll already be in my personal statement.
yea it sounds great, I would just say perhaps title it something different than hobby if possible.