choosing school compatible w/PM&R hopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbear97

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that y'all have finished interviewing for PM&R residencies, how would you design/redesign your medschool experience if you could go back?

I've been excited about PM&R ever since grad school (did my thesis on psychological resilience post-trauma/disability). I've read How to Choose a Medical Specialty (by Anita Taylor) and ordered materials from the Amer. Acad. of PM&R. I really resonate with this specialty's personality and would like to contribute as a future clinician.

These are the paths I could take towards realizing my PM&R dreams:

1.) Case Western
Pros: Case has a PM&R residency site (MetroHealth Hosp.) where I could do elective rotations, get early exposure, research, etc. They match a couple students into PM&R each year.
Cons: EXPENSIVE - $36,500 per year. My wife doesn't like snow.

2.) Univ. of Arizona
Pros: CHEAP - $12,000 per year.
Cons: No PM&R residencies in AZ, how hard is it to setup out-of-state elective rotations? Or design a custom preceptorship for early experience? Their match lists suggest no history of their grads going into PM&R.

3.) UCSF
Pros: Stanford and UC Davis have PM&R sites within 1-2 hours driving distance. My wife and I are from Calif and want to do our residency close to our parents/in-laws.
Cons: EXPENSIVE - between tuition and cost of living in SF. Don't know how hard it would be to get early exposure.

So there it is, how would you PM&R gurus--with your broader perspective--rank these opportunities as far as helping me towards a PM&R career?

Thanks big-time, I realize most of you are way past my neophyte stage -- but it can't hurt to ask :)!

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at the curriculum. My med school had two electives my third year, and only 3 requirements for fourth year (a medicine Acting Internship, a surgery A.I., and a humanities course. - AND, my PM&R A.I. counted as surgery A.I.!!) I could do as many away electives as I wanted my fourth year as long as I made the arrangements. (my med school's malpractice coverage extended off-campus)

Honestly, I dont' think it is worth the extra tuition cost to go to a place with PM&R residency. My school does not have a PM&R residency and only has one physiatrist. However, I was able to secure two away electives in PM&R early my fourth year because of its lenient fourth year curriculum. (I also got two research months and two vacation months this year!!)

It's great you got the material from AAPMR and that you have found this forum. The fact that you have a relevent paper is also a plus. Maybe you can arrange something for first year summer in PM&R. (most med schools have that first summer off) OR the summer before med school.

Also, a big plus is the fact that you have family in california that you could stay with should you do an elective at UCDavis or Stanford or both. That was the biggest determining factor for me doing both my away electives in NJ.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I would definitely pick UCSF above the other two for the following reasons:

1. Going to a CA medical school will give you an edge when applying for residencies in CA. Even though UCSF does not have its own PM&R residency, Stanford and UC Davis are pretty close as you mentioned. Several graduates have matched at UCLA and Stanford.

2. Better overall reputation and matchlist. You might decide later that you don't want to stay in CA for residency or that you want to do another specialty. One of our graduates last year was from UCSF and I see UCSF graduates all the time at MGH and BWH.

3. Closer to your family. I think this might be more important for your wife than for you. It's not easy being married to a medical student who is busy all the time and being close to family will certainly help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the great ideas! It really helps to "mooch" off of your experiences :)

I will definitely find out if these schools offer extended malpractice coverage for away rotations (hope that is standard).

With respect to "securing an away rotation," how did you guys/gals make yourselves attractive candidates who were able to secure away rotations?

Can you get into PM&R without research experience in the field(i.e., if there was no residency site at your school for you to have gotten any)?

You're right ... a.) family happiness should/will be at the top of my criteria, and b.) people's interests do change. I will definitely keep your advice in mind.

Thanks axm, stinkytofu !!!!

Agree with stinky -> would go where family is happiest AND UCSF definitely has a great reputation.

I would choose med school based on quality of education, the people there, the atmosphere, etc. Honestly, you will probably be able to get good residency choices from any of those med schools as long as you fortify your application.

I did not do any away rotations in california and still got interview offers from all the UCs and Stanford.

I contacted institutions where I was interested in doing electives in January of my third year to secure them in August and September of my fourth year.

I did do research -> had publications in pain management and was working on another project in SCI.

There are lots of research opportunities - even if the school doesn't have a PM&R department, you can find a local physiatrist or do an away research elective. (I know someone who did one at Kessler) You have an advantage because you have time.

I'm another neophyte looking for some advice. I am pretty sure I will be starting med school at UC Davis in the fall. And I am really excited to explore PM&R as a possible specialty. Staying in California for residency is a big priority for me. I know things could easily change for me over the course of med school but I definitely want to look into this early on. So does anyone have any opinions on Davis in terms of preparing for PM&R? I know Davis has a residency program in this area. What should I be looking to do in my first two years to get some exposure to this area? Thanks :)

And to the OP... of course take this with a grain of salt since I am in the same place you are but I would definitely pick UCSF if you think you want to stay in California. It is an amazing school. More amazing than Arizona in my opinion, having gotten a bio degree from Arizona and working with a number of doctors and med students.

Dr. Brian Davis is an attending at UC Davis and posts on SDN occasionally. I think he would be a good resource for you at UC Davis. Dr. Davis has offered his personal e-mail address in previous posts for those with questions. His e-mail address is [email protected]. You should also check out UC Davis' PM&R website and a previous SDN thread about the program.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?threadid=30858

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/pmr/index.html

P.S. If you are interested in Pediatric Rehabilitation at all, you should definitely get in touch with Dr. Craig McDonald. Pediatrics is definitely one of the strengths at UC Davis. All the e-mail addressess of the attendings at UC Davis are listed on their website. In the past, I've found all of them to be very friendly and approachable.

Originally posted by Stinky Tofu
Dr. Brian Davis is an attending at UC Davis and posts on SDN occasionally. I think he would be a good resource for you at UC Davis. Dr. Davis has offered his personal e-mail address in previous posts for those with questions. His e-mail address is [email protected]. You should also check out UC Davis' PM&R website and a previous SDN thread about the program.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?threadid=30858

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/pmr/index.html

P.S. If you are interested in Pediatric Rehabilitation at all, you should definitely get in touch with Dr. Craig McDonald. Pediatrics is definitely one of the strengths at UC Davis. All the e-mail addressess of the attendings at UC Davis are listed on their website. In the past, I've found all of them to be very friendly and approachable.

Thanks a lot :) I will definitely try to get in touch with Dr. Davis.