Choosing Surgical Specialty with Orthopedic Issues..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgetstarted1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in surgery, but have several medical issues, such as De Quervian and Carpal Tunnel, and have had arthroscopic elbow and knee surgery and back surgery.

I am able to stand fine and my surgeons have told me it should be okay but I am worried about longevity with these wrist conditions and possibly back condition (surgery went fine) . Standing if anything is better than sitting often for me.

However, in a field that uses hands so much, i am worried that with de quervian and carpal-tunnel and elbow pain (nothing broken, i dont have RA or arthritis), I may have trouble years down the line.

Do you know of many/any surgeons with their own orthopedic issues? How common is it? I was told i should not just ask potential surgical mentors if i can last in surgery given my conditions and keep it private until i got a better idea of surgery when i shadow or 3rd year.

@OrthoTraumaMD

Members don't see this ad.

If your conditions are stable and don’t impact your ability to operate now, I don’t see why you couldn’t have a career in surgery.

However, you will need to disclose those conditions when you apply for disability insurance. They might not cover your wrist/elbow/back conditions if you have problems in the future.

Urologist here so coming from that perspective but here’s my 2 cents.

I would think about what fields you could still practice if your conditions worsened so you’re not retiring or going back to residency. Some fields have more of a clinic component then others like Urology or ENT. Some fields have many smaller or less technically/ergonomically demanding procedures like Urology (with cysto cases) or colorectal butt cases. Can’t speak to other fields but in GU it’s pretty common to have older docs step away from major cases and do mostly office work and cysto. Would consider something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
would think about what fields you could still practice if your conditions worsened so you’re not retiring or going back to residency.

Agree that this is probably a wise way to approach it. If you end up really liking general surgery, the future non-operative option could be critical care. However, that may limit you to a EGS/Trauma/GS path. But there are transplant surgeons who run transplant ICUs, and though I don't know any, wouldn't be surprised if there are CT surgeons running CTICUs.

While I suppose it's possible to complete a critical care fellowship in addition to something like colorectal, I don't know that there are many colorectal/surgical intensivist jobs out there. That may mean dropping the critical care component until you were ready to transition practice which probably doesn't work all that well.

I would consider the field of surgery you are applying into. Ortho joints, spine and trauma can be backbreaking fields with lower than average longevity - moving huge patients with big legs surgery after surgery. Whereas ortho hand, ortho peds you are working with much less physically taxing patients. So I think it should factor in your decision which speciality and sub-speciality to pursue.

It sounds like you are a 1st or 2nd year med student. You need to get in the OR via shawdowing and do surgery early as a 3rd year to find out how your body takes long hours in the OR. That will give you the info you need to make a decision.

Reactions: 1 users
I would consider the field of surgery you are applying into. Ortho joints, spine and trauma can be backbreaking fields with lower than average longevity - moving huge patients with big legs surgery after surgery. Whereas ortho hand, ortho peds you are working with much less physically taxing patients. So I think it should factor in your decision which speciality and sub-speciality to pursue.

It sounds like you are a 1st or 2nd year med student. You need to get in the OR via shawdowing and do surgery early as a 3rd year to find out how your body takes long hours in the OR. That will give you the info you need to make a decision.

Yes to the second paragraph. As for the first, few attendings move patients themselves once they leave residency.

Also your surgeons, who know you best, already said you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Go into a field where, if worse comes to worst, you can sit at a Da Vinci robot all day.