Choosing the faculty to work with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeor1006

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical question, let's say you have an opportunity to work with a professor that is highly established in the field and has tons of studies going on. Former and current students obtained good authorship in his/her lab. However, that person was involved in a ethically scandal such as the Hoffman Report. Would it hurt you academically to be associated with his/her name?

Members don't see this ad.

If the ethics scandal involved mistreatment of students, or behavior that could result in loss of a job or research funding, you'd have reason to be concerned. Otherwise I would not worry about the politics of it unless the person in question is named Mitchell or Jessen.

If the ethics scandal involved mistreatment of students, or behavior that could result in loss of a job or research funding, you'd have reason to be concerned. Otherwise I would not worry about the politics of it unless the person in question is named Mitchell or Jessen.
Well, no, the person in question was not directly linked with that scandal as Jessen or Mitchell. However, there is reason to believe his/her negligence or lack of action contributed to the coverup (trying to be discrete here...). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the person still getting funded, getting invited to speak at conferences, producing good science, mentoring students who go on to be successful? If the answers to those questions are "yes," you are most likely safe.

if its professional ethics violation rather than research ethics I doubt it. Faking research is different from supporting torture. Unless, of course, this is an ethics researcher. Make sense?

Faking research results - definitely not.
"Involved" in something... depends on a lot. The kind of issue you described (lack of action rather than direct ethical misconduct) is real easy to get high-horsed about after the fact for some people.
Is that person still collaborating with their normal collaborators? Is so I wouldn't make a huge deal about it.

Thanks. Your answers put things in perspective for me. That person is still producing quality scholar work. I think I got my answer.