Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I am interested in pursuing a career in the zoo/exotics/wildlife field after graduation. I am struggling to decide between two externship opportunities. I do not think it will be possible to accommodate both in my schedule. One is at a local(ish) AZA-accredited mid-size zoo and the other is at a wildlife rehabilitation center. Both are 4 weeks and are within reasonable driving distance. Wildlife center provides housing, and I may be able to stay with a friend's parent for the zoo externship (but have not confirmed). I have applied to several other zoos but am still waiting to hear back. As for the rest of my clinical schedule, I currently have 4 weeks (2 separate blocks) of zoo rotations through my school's elective rotations (these are different zoos than the aforementioned externship). I am also taking the exotics elective rotation that includes my school's wildlife service (case volume variable, as it is just whatever local wildlife the community brings to the hospital). I also have reached out to an companion exotics private practice for a separate externship block that will be at the beginning of my clinical year.
Any suggestions on which to pick or other factors to consider? To clarify, I am not 100% sure I want to zoo or wildlife as of right now but am seriously considering it. Another major interest of mine is (small animal) surgery. And as for my wildlife interest, I would definitely want to do more clinical medicine in a rehabilitation type facility with a hospital, as opposed to the role of a state wildlife veterinarian or related work. Initially after graduation, I hope to pursue some sort of rotating internship. If providing the names of two externships would be beneficial, I will do that. Thanks in advance.
I am interested in pursuing a career in the zoo/exotics/wildlife field after graduation. I am struggling to decide between two externship opportunities. I do not think it will be possible to accommodate both in my schedule. One is at a local(ish) AZA-accredited mid-size zoo and the other is at a wildlife rehabilitation center. Both are 4 weeks and are within reasonable driving distance. Wildlife center provides housing, and I may be able to stay with a friend's parent for the zoo externship (but have not confirmed). I have applied to several other zoos but am still waiting to hear back. As for the rest of my clinical schedule, I currently have 4 weeks (2 separate blocks) of zoo rotations through my school's elective rotations (these are different zoos than the aforementioned externship). I am also taking the exotics elective rotation that includes my school's wildlife service (case volume variable, as it is just whatever local wildlife the community brings to the hospital). I also have reached out to an companion exotics private practice for a separate externship block that will be at the beginning of my clinical year.
Any suggestions on which to pick or other factors to consider? To clarify, I am not 100% sure I want to zoo or wildlife as of right now but am seriously considering it. Another major interest of mine is (small animal) surgery. And as for my wildlife interest, I would definitely want to do more clinical medicine in a rehabilitation type facility with a hospital, as opposed to the role of a state wildlife veterinarian or related work. Initially after graduation, I hope to pursue some sort of rotating internship. If providing the names of two externships would be beneficial, I will do that. Thanks in advance.