CHOP vs. Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jowell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any final thoughts on these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I liked CHOP much better...they seemed slighly more relaxed and the faculty more supportive of their residents. Boston, while nice, seemed to rest upon their laurels a touch more: less support. They aren't even in my Top 5. Just MHO.

Well, this isn't the best post I can give you, but I'm going to be a fellow at CHOP in 2006, and I interviewed at both places. Now, I didn't interview at either for residency, but I think Boston is a cooler town, but more expensive, while CHOP seemed to be a bit more of a complete hospital. Plus you only rotate through CHOP, where Boston requires you go to several hospitals. I think that would favor CHOP. Reputation-wise it's a wash, so that shouldn't matter. I think it's mostly how YOU felt about the two places, and where you could stand living for 3 years (and potentially more, as if you meet someone/or already have a family, it can be tough to move).

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I hope that helped a little.

Kawasaki said:
I liked CHOP much better...they seemed slighly more relaxed and the faculty more supportive of their residents. Boston, while nice, seemed to rest upon their laurels a touch more: less support. They aren't even in my Top 5. Just MHO.

I second this, especially the part about Boston. Too bad, since I think it would be more fun (albeit expensive) to live in Boston.