I used to be a pharmacy major, but I switched to optometry at the end of my junior year (basically at the last minute!) It had a lot to do with shadowing other professions and my own personal experience as being a patient in the optometrist's office. While working in a pharmacy as an intern, I decided that pharmacy wasn't for me, and that I would rather be on the other end--meaning I wanted to be the person who patients saw first. I felt that I could be more independent because I could make more decisions w/ the patient. With pharmacy, I felt like I would have little say with anything that has to do with the patient. I would be basically at the mercy of the insurance companies, and it seemed that doctors didn't really want much intervention or suggestions from the pharmacist. Whenever there would be a situation where a doctor needed to be contacted by the pharmacy, it appeared that the pharmacy was just a big annoyance to the doctor rather than helpful to the patient. So basically, I wanted to be able to be the one that the patient saw first, and I wanted to have a career where I could make appropriate decisions instead of having little to no impact on the patient and his or her treatment plan. This is simply my opinion based on my experiences, I hope it helps! 🙂 (And by the way--I am VERY happy with my decision. I can't wait to be an optometrist!!! Before I decided to change fields, I asked myself "Would I be happy being a pharmacist when I graduated and moved on to the real world?" My answer was a definite "No."!! Then I asked myself "Would I be happy being an optometrist?" As you might suspect, my answer was a definite "YES!") I encourage you to shadow professionals and research a LOT about pharmacy and optometry as well as any other professions that may interest you. Also, try asking yourself questions like I did. Maybe you'll find some answers from yourself! 🙂