Chosing School Based On Jet Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerdog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already been accepted to Ross Jan 2005 and recently discovered AUC and St. Matthew's. I have decided to apply to those to schools AUC and St. Matthew's solely do to location for living conditions; especially non-stop jet service. Has anyone made a decision solely on jet service and supermarkets?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if anyone ever made a decision based on non-stop jet service or supermarkets but I'm quite sure there are people who made the decision based on overall living conditions. I don't know much about AUC, but I know enough to know that it is considered one of the "big 3" in the Caribbean (Ross and St. George's being the other ones). Generally speaking, most people consider St. George's to be the best Carib med school, then Ross, and then AUC. However, AUC being on St. Maarten, has far much better living conditions than Dominica or Grenada. I have no info on St. Matthew's but I suspect it is a much smaller operation. Personally, I would only consider Ross and SGU because I know I can get licensed in all fifty states and they have the resources to react/adapt to changes in individual state licensing issues. Again, I just don't know enough about AUC.

I chose AUC over the other 2 of the big 3 for several reasons..... Living conditions was a BIG factor also the ability to be licensed in all 50 states and Stafford loans being available and the educational opportunities for my children who will be with me. I like the idea that I can feel as close as possibel to being at home in the US like having the products I use at home available to me etc. I gave up 4 waitlist spots in DO schools for the seat at AUC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baditude brings up a good point regarding financial aid. The "big 3" all have Stafford loans and "alternative" medical loans available. Ross also has a prep school on campus for children of students and profs but I don't know much about the details. There's probably more info on the Ross website. Don't know about SGU regarding education for children, though.

I am only interested in practising in Florida. My family, friends, and life is here. I don't care about Cal and Tx.