Christie

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyegirl2k7

Bridget Jones here
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Christie,
Why did you decide against NEWENCO?

Members don't see this ad.

A few reasons..

The biggest factor was cost. Both are private schools, but NEWENCO is more expensive. Plus the cost of living in Boston is much more than suburban philly.

The exam rooms and equipment at PCO are more modern and newer, compared to NEWENCO. I've heard a few other people say this too.

By the time we graduate (with this new curriculum), we will have seen 50% more patients than other optometry programs and this was the second biggest factor for me.

Another reason i chose PCO was the closer proximity to ny (1-1 1/2 hours) compared to Boston (3-4 1/2 hours).

They are both excellent schools, and it was one of the toughest decisions i had to make, but in my heart i knew PCO was right for me.

Good luck in your decision!

Cristie, I was wondering why you didn't choose SUNY Optometry, being that you are from nyc and would have saved a bundle. I have interviews next month with suny, pco, and ico. I don't really have a first choice yet because I haven't visited the schools. My dad just wants me to go to suny because of the cost ( I'm from Brooklyn Heights) but I'm not sure that it is the right school for me. Give me more feedback on your impression of the school vs pco.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cristie, I was wondering why you didn't choose SUNY Optometry, being that you are from nyc and would have saved a bundle. I have interviews next month with suny, pco, and ico. I don't really have a first choice yet because I haven't visited the schools. My dad just wants me to go to suny because of the cost ( I'm from Brooklyn Heights) but I'm not sure that it is the right school for me. Give me more feedback on your impression of the school vs pco.

adw,

I sure would have saved a lot of $$, but after visting PCO, I just knew it was a better school for me. Also, I wanted to get out of ny for a few years. I liked PCO b/c even though philly is 25 mins away, the suburban setting PCO is in is ideal for studying! I was more impressed wth PCO's facilities (and you'll see why when you check out the school). SUNY is also a great school. My advice is to visit the schools, and then you can get a better imression. :) Its nice to see someone also from ny here - I'm from staten island originally -Good Luck!:)