Christmas Present for M3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting my M3 year next year and my brother was wondering what to get me for Christmas and would be useful for rotations. I already have a stethoscope and an iPod Touch with a good amount of apps. I'm pretty sure I don't need anything that is related to physical exams (fundoscope, etc ...). I already have Qbanks for the upcoming boards. His price range is around $100. Anything you guys can think of that you really needed during that time?

Members don't see this ad.

A maid or personal assistant to do all the personal crap I don't get around to because I'm at the hospital. Lol

I cant really think of any one thing that fits that price range. There is always the red book (now green) and other assorted helpful books around the $40 - $50 range for rotations (Washington manual, surgical recall, etc). A pair safety glasses for surgery. A foldable pocket clip board. A nice pair of comfy shoes. Business wear, if you don't already have it. Someone to help pay for step two. For Comlex it was about $1600 plus plane fair and hotel... All before f aid came in. As far as gear goes, I really didn't need anything new. Just my stethoscope and a pen light. And sometimes not even that. I know some people buy new lab coats, if theirs are getting dingy.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amazon.com gift cards for books/supplies for the future. Also, I buy groceries from amazon.

OK, looks like I will be asking for shirts and ties. I'm going to look damn good in the hospital. Thanks!

OK, looks like I will be asking for shirts and ties. I'm going to look damn good in the hospital. Thanks!
I had my parents get me Pocket medicine. Almost every med student ends up buying this book so might as well get it now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1608319059

Whenever any one asks me, I just tell them get me an amazon gift card, because I'll definitely need to buy more books for rotations:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00067L6TQ...86017&linkCode=ur1&adid=0T3CX0VZB81JAKG34GQ5&

coffee is always a winner.

one of the residents I worked with chewed caffeinated gum when rounding post-call... I might be asking for some of that this year.

Personally, I try to avoid asking for school related things for holiday gifts. Get fun stuff.

coffee is always a winner.

one of the residents I worked with chewed caffeinated gum when rounding post-call... I might be asking for some of that this year.

Personally, I try to avoid asking for school related things for holiday gifts. Get fun stuff.

For real, do you get your lawyer friends brief cases and legal pads or your business friends pens and updated versions of Microsoft Office?

No, cause those are horrible gifts.

Comfortable shoes, or at least a gift card to a shop that carries them. Danskos or Josef Seibel, although some people like sketchers. Danskos and JS will run you a little bit more than $100, thus maybe the gift card request. I have two pairs of JS shoes (one black pair, one brown pair), and they are easily the best purchase I made for third year.