CII Security Form Prescription in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee4drug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Must have the prescriber's signature and date in writing, right?

I've got a prescription today, but it did not have the prescription date in writing. When I called the doctor for a new prescription for something else since the patient needs a pain reliever badly, he insisted that he did everything correctly according to some "guidelines."

Is there a circumstance, under which either a doctor's signature or date is not required to be hand written?

P.S., he ended by saying I could give the patient whatever I wanted in whatever quantity, and he didn't really care. That was my first taste of prescribing. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
as far as i know, it has to be hand-written.

sounds like another md trying to cover his assets.

Ugh this kind of crap is unbearable. I'm so glad the government has created such arcane and counter-productive rules to prevent legitimate patients from getting the medicines they need.

What was the original drug and what did you choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you are correct:

11164. Prescribing, Filling, Compounding or Dispensing Prescription for Controlled Substance; Requirements
Except as provided in Section 11167, no person shall prescribe a controlled substance, nor shall any person fill, compound, or dispense a prescription for a controlled substance, unless it complies with the requirements of this section.
(a) Each prescription for a controlled substance classified in Schedule II, III, IV, or V, except as authorized by subdivision (b), shall be made on a controlled substance prescription form as specified in Section 11162.1 and shall meet the following requirements:
(1) The prescription shall be signed and dated by the prescriber in ink and shall contain the prescriber's address and telephone number; the name of the ultimate user or research subject, or contact information as determined by the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services; refill information, such as the number of refills ordered and whether the prescription is a first-time request or a refill; and the name, quantity, strength, and directions for use of the controlled substance prescribed.

Ugh this kind of crap is unbearable. I'm so glad the government has created such arcane and counter-productive rules to prevent legitimate patients from getting the medicines they need.

Was it the system that prevented the patient from getting their medication or the physician? There are only four parts of a CII that MUST be filled out for it to be valid and the prescriber missed half of them. Fail!

Yes, the date needs to be in the MD's writing in California (for CIIs). It sucks for the patients that really need it but its a good out for the drug abusers.

California needs to adopt Texas like laws for CIIs. It makes things much easier.

Can we change the sig, qty and directions for CII's in California if hard copy is dated and signed?

Couldn't you just hand write the date yourself and be done with especially after you called and verified the rx. Make your life easy. Unless someone in your pharmacy will narc on you... No one would ever know and I'm sure the DEA doesn't care about this stupid law.

Couldn't you just hand write the date yourself and be done with especially after you called and verified the rx. Make your life easy. Unless someone in your pharmacy will narc on you... No one would ever know and I'm sure the DEA doesn't care about this stupid law.
I see you've never been audited. CIIs are almost the only things they care about. Calling to verify on an invalid rx would give you a phone rx, which (depending on your state laws) would only be a few day emergency supply, and need a cover.

I see you've never been audited. CIIs are almost the only things they care about. Calling to verify on an invalid rx would give you a phone rx, which (depending on your state laws) would only be a few day emergency supply, and need a cover.

If they did audit that rx that you wrote the date on it, how would they know the date was not written at the dr's office?

Signing and dating a prescription doesn't seem "arcane and counter-productive" to me.

Can we change the sig, qty and directions for CII's in California if hard copy is dated and signed?

Is sig different than directions? :confused:

In FL, I have been told we can only change strength and quantity. Have not tkaen law yet so I can't point to the particular law or guarantee if that is accurate.. Sorry, I know nothing of CA.

If they did audit that rx that you wrote the date on it, how would they know the date was not written at the dr's office?
Handwriting, slightly different shade of pen, I dunno. You're right, they probably wouldn't catch it. They also might not catch you filling your pockets with narcotics when you leave, why not try it?

Strawmanning aside, the point is the law says you have to do it a certain way, and there are penalties if you do otherwise.

Handwriting, slightly different shade of pen, I dunno. You're right, they probably wouldn't catch it. They also might not catch you filling your pockets with narcotics when you leave, why not try it?

Strawmanning aside, the point is the law says you have to do it a certain way, and there are penalties if you do otherwise.

But the law was not made to prevent legitimate pts from getting legitimate pain meds because the dr typed the date instead of writing it with a pen.

Writing in a date in that situation I don't think is wrong especially if you got verification from dr. At that point your acting on behalf of dr, just like the girl at front desk the next morning because you made the pt suffer in pain and bring rx back when office is open.

Do you ever go over the speed limit? Because if you do you must steal narcotics.

But the law was not made to prevent legitimate pts from getting legitimate pain meds because the dr typed the date instead of writing it with a pen.

Writing in a date in that situation I don't think is wrong especially if you got verification from dr. At that point your acting on behalf of dr, just like the girl at front desk the next morning because you made the pt suffer in pain and bring rx back when office is open.

Do you ever go over the speed limit? Because if you do you must steal narcotics.

Alternatively you can fill the script if the doctor agrees to mail you a new script that is filled out correctly. We do that sometimes. Patient does not suffer. :thumbup: Annoying though.

Look, I didn't make the law, and I'm not on any committee with power to change the law. There are plenty of laws that don't make much sense. Why can you do a 5 day controlled substance oral rx instead of 6? Does that one day matter? It is a legitimate patient that may be deprived of legitimate medication, but that's just how the law goes.

Alternatively you can fill the script if the doctor agrees to mail you a new script that is filled out correctly. We do that sometimes. Patient does not suffer. :thumbup: Annoying though.
On a few cases we have gotten the oral prescription so the patient is held over until they can go back to the dr. or the office can mail the rx to us. Slightly more work, but why not CYA.

A pharmacist I worked with was filling an rx that didn't fit into one bottle, maybe metformin or gabapentin, you know how that happens. An auditor fined him $250 for not putting 1/2 and 2/2 on the bottles, because they were improperly labeled. The label said #270, but there were not #270 in that bottle. Now this is absolutely pointless, but technically the pharmacist was in the wrong. I imagine they're even more strict with matters concerning controls, but (knock on wood) I haven't seen any punishment involving those.

you write in the date yourself. your not going to lose money on an audit if the date is written in another shade.. you assume someone in the office wrote it for the md..

i hate watching a pharmacist tell a customer they can't get their med or they have to go back to the ER or the md's office the next day cuz the md is closed.. use ur best judgment

you do not let the law determine how you practice as a pharmacist..

Last edited:
you write in the date yourself. your not going to lose money on an audit if the date is written in another shade.. you assume someone in the office wrote it for the md..

and the rule says in ink. it doesn't specify ink from a pencil or printer. like an effin inkjet printer.

As opposed to writing it in blood? :laugh:

But seriously, what does ink exclude?

As opposed to writing it in blood? :laugh:

But seriously, what does ink exclude?
I think the intent was "not pencil" for reasons of erasing. Computer ink vs pen ink doesn't seem to be any issue. We had a doc who used some sort of marker, like a Sharpie or something.