lost dea form 222

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am new to management and mistakenly threw out 2 form 222 that i made errors on. i believe i have to contact a 'dea field agent'? what does that entail and what is the repercussion for doing so? alternatively, what is the repercussion of not notifying the dea? how would they know if there are missing forms? Is it only upon inspection--how close do they look at the forms? I would rather not draw this to the director's attention. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing you can do is be honest and let your DOP know, because they are accountable at the end of the day.

Is this a 222 form from your wholesaler; if so you can likely easily print a copy out from their online ordering system.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How big of a deal is reporting missing forms?

Best thing you can do is be honest and let your DOP know, because they are accountable at the end of the day.

Is this a 222 form from your wholesaler; if so you can likely easily print a copy out from their online ordering system.
It's a form we use to transfer c2s to a small hospital connected to the hospital system.

Here in GA, the Drugs and Narcotics people are tough as it gets. They are understaffed and over worked. In your case, just pick up the phone and contact them ASAP, it shouldn't be a big deal, but they hate any sort of cover up or delay. And you don't want them to discover this during an inspection.

We had a Head DEA agent, Rick Allen (now retired), tough as nails, the rumor was that he had fired his gun in more than one occasion in the line of duty! I was one week, licensed R.Ph., working retail. He shows up, comes right behind the counter, flashes his badge, and his gun. He was looking for scripts from a certain MD. Asked me why my license wasn't on the wall, I told him it was my third day working, I pulled out my letter from NABP. He says that's no excuse and to fix that by tomorrow, and he would have shut the pharmacy down , if I didn't have proof!
His last words to me, as he was leaving, was: "son, some pharmacists don't get to see me for years, you are so lucky you saw me on your third day!"

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Here in GA, the Drugs and Narcotics people are tough as it gets. They are understaffed and over worked. In your case, just pick up the phone and contact them ASAP, it shouldn't be a big deal, but they hate any sort of cover up or delay. And you don't want them to discover this during an inspection.

We had a Head DEA agent, Rick Allen (now retired), tough as nails, the rumor was that he had fired his gun in more than one occasion in the line of duty! I was one week, licensed R.Ph., working retail. He shows up, comes right behind the counter, flashes his badge, and his gun. He was looking for scripts from a certain MD. Asked me why my license wasn't on the wall, I told him it was my third day working, I pulled out my letter from NABP. He says that's no excuse and to fix that by tomorrow, and he would have shut the pharmacy down , if I didn't have proof!
His last words to me, as he was leaving, was: "son, some pharmacists don't get to see me for years, you are so lucky you saw me on your third day!"
what's the story of the MD he's after?

Reactions: 1 user

I’m going to be honest, from your posts in this board, I just want to sit down and listen to your experience, thoughts and stories over your career. I feel like I’d have a blast. Seriously.

I’m going to be honest, from your posts in this board, I just want to sit down and listen to your experience, thoughts and stories over your career. I feel like I’d have a blast. Seriously.
I would pay good money to listen to the likes of @RXDOC1986 , @lord999 and @Old Timer talk about their earlier years in this profession

what's the story of the MD he's after?
It was 38 yrs ago, not sure what he was looking for, he wouldn't tell me anyway, maybe too many CII Rx's. Back then it was the wild wild west, no PMP, no internet, no connecting software in chains, no statewide data base on anything.
CLEARLY remember, the big ass revolver in the shoulder harness and the badge on the belt.

Maybe we should do OF, and monetize it. 😂😂
I can only speak for myself, but 80's and 90's was the best.
Walking around with the Pharm.D. degree.
You had great respect and the trust of the public, great working conditions, good money, and most important, very little regulations from Joint Commission, DNV, or USP.

I would pay good money to listen to the likes of @RXDOC1986 , @lord999 and @Old Timer talk about their earlier years in this profession
A couple that happened to me personally:

1. (2004-2005) Collected the robbery bonus from the closed store at Minneapolis Lake so many times, that Walgreens changed the rule on both amount and discrete times (it was me and this poor guy out of St. Louis who kept on getting in stores where robbery was a problem). By the way, at the time, it came with a gag order that you were not to complain or advance a complaint to the Board that a location should be closed over safety issues.

The reason why this store closed has an extremely unhappy ending. Later, the night pharmacist who was one of my former students got her ticket out of the profession by being brutally raped while conscious (the video is still apparently taught in MNLARS about how not to secure a building in the sense that it was secured to perform the rape without being disturbed), collecting judgment, and being a daughter of a prominent construction family, certain things happened that most local Minnesotans in the business knew.

MN changed the rules such that non-disclosure agreements were illegal to enforce in safety or regulation breaking contexts.

2. (2002) The literal first day of my university experience at ASU, this cop Dan Lovelace, mows down this KKG girl on the Apache curve. This idiot cop earlier killed a young guy by not putting on his siren and going 90 mph into a red light intersection (the other guy was definitely in the green, the intersection is a monitored one).

I was the senior intern for the second years, and I was asked to go to Dobson and Warner one day. It's way outside my area, but the RxS at the time, Fauzia Somani, said it would be pharmacist wages to go. I figured I could get some grocery shopping done on the side (one of the main Asian markets is next door), so went down there to see Maricopa County, the meat wagon, and Aftermath Services (the company you hire to clean up after crime scenes, highly recommended from me personally) scraping blood and pink matter from the bricks outside the drive-thru.

Turns out this cowboy cop shot a would be prescription forger, but when I heard the name, I asked if he was anywhere near the area and talked about the ASU incident where he was persona non grata in Tempe (he was literally told that if he crossed city limits from his police jurisdiction in Mesa, he would be immediately PITed and arrested on sight).

Word spread around, and with the crime scene and cleanup people working, a normal 650 script pharmacy did 21 scripts and refills by 12:00 AM starting at 2:00 PM.

3. (2005) We had this pharmacist we ALL ****ing hated at Good Samaritan who was a serial harasser and overall dick. One day, a recruiter calls looking for pharmacists, and I happen to get the call. Of course, I'm not interested, but if I could get a referral, I would get $10k. I thought about it, having had to chew out this pharmacist earlier today for harassing a candy striper (again, different time and standards), and then called him in and said that if he would take this job at Scottsdale Osborn with no interview and no questions asked, I would not write him up, and he would get a $5,000 bonus. Immediately called and accepted. The $15k I received ($10k initially, and $5k for cheating that dick), came two weeks after that conversation.

Scottsdale Osborn's management was irate with me for at least a decade afterwards for that stunt. I don't blame them. I still get crap for it at AzPA meetings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I face the Congressional staffers on Friday over a VA screwup. Everyone's panicking the head off, but I remind them that there are far worse things than getting reamed by politicians. I've had 22 and 45 reasons to turn over meds enough times that politics is a dream. Thanks, this was cathartic to remind myself that life isn't so bad where I'm at now. But even at the worst, my family are mostly Temple grads, and parts of Philadelphia were (and still are) incredibly unpleasant and unsafe. They had it a lot worse than I ever did.

Last edited:
  • Love
Op, I'd recommend that you read the DEA Pharmacist Manual, 2022 Edition, Page 27, and note that violation of the timely 21 CFR 1305.16 is a felony count if the DoJ is pissed off with you. I doubt this will happen unless the US Attorney needs a slam dunk case to hand to one of the AA's for target practice, but with CA, you never know.

Your mistake is not you throwing out the forms, but not filing the missing report in a timely fashion because it implies coverup as you are commenting on, and I expect you will be questioned severely about the timing.

Hope your PLI is up to date!

some DEA officers are ass holes, some are chill. I had a case of a RN stealing narcs and I was young and stupid and instead of reporting right away, I tried to set a trap to catch her over the next couple of weeks (I was DOP as a small hospital). I told my boss what happened and he was like "call the DEA stat, like seriously you could get in trouble for not reporting immediately" We then made changes to the the process (RN's had after hours access)
I called the office that day - the agent is like "you are lucky - the normal guy is on vacation, I am covering. He is a jerk, but since you have done things to prevent future theft, I will mark the case closed"

so moral of the story, don't **** around with anything missing by trying to be a cowboy...

Reactions: 2 users
some DEA officers are ass holes, some are chill. I had a case of a RN stealing narcs and I was young and stupid and instead of reporting right away, I tried to set a trap to catch her over the next couple of weeks (I was DOP as a small hospital). I told my boss what happened and he was like "call the DEA stat, like seriously you could get in trouble for not reporting immediately" We then made changes to the the process (RN's had after hours access)
I called the office that day - the agent is like "you are lucky - the normal guy is on vacation, I am covering. He is a jerk, but since you have done things to prevent future theft, I will mark the case closed"

so moral of the story, don't **** around with anything missing by trying to be a cowboy...
some? no, all of them, and with good reason. They deal with cheaters, liars and criminals all day, every day. You just can't afford to be chill in that job. Here, the head of Drug and Narc., is a former classmate. He worked retail, had his own pharmacy for 20 yrs. His personality and demeanor totally changed with the gun and the badge.

some? no, all of them, and with good reason. They deal with cheaters, liars and criminals all day, every day. You just can't afford to be chill in that job. Here, the head of Drug and Narc., is a former classmate. He worked retail, had his own pharmacy for 20 yrs. His personality and demeanor totally changed with the gun and the badge.
Seems like you've just had a bad experience with a couple. The agents and DIs that I've met or worked with have all been professional and occasionally downright friendly.

Seems like you've just had a bad experience with a couple. The agents and DIs that I've met or worked with have all been professional and occasionally downright friendly.
Maybe so, or maybe it's me that puts them in a bad mood. Maybe I shouldn't say what I say when I get stopped for speeding: "hey, I pay your salary!" :lol::rofl::lol:

Just my experience dealing with Drug & Narc. for the past 38 years.

Last edited:
The final take on this situation for the OP:
Be truth full, respond quickly, always full disclosure. That's The only way you get to keep your license, when dealing with DEA.

Maybe we should do OF, and monetize it. 😂😂

They have fascinating careers with incredible stories but if these are OF materials for pharmacy pervs, then Sparda's stuffs are downright dirty p#$n.

I just feel that a lot of them are on a power trip. They just enjoy flashing their badges and make the little pharmacy critters squirm. They are a big reason of why legitimate patients such as those with cancer cannot fill their pain meds.

They have fascinating careers with incredible stories but if these are OF materials for pharmacy pervs, then Sparda's stuffs are downright dirty p#$n.

I just feel that a lot of them are on a power trip. They just enjoy flashing their badges and make the little pharmacy critters squirm. They are a big reason of why legitimate patients such as those with cancer cannot fill their pain meds.
You are correct in thinking that!
Then again, having been around the block, a few hundred times, for every cancer patient that has difficulty obtaining his pain Rx, there are 100 others trying to beat the system. The DEA folk don't make the stupid rules, they just have to enforce them.

i am new to management and mistakenly threw out 2 form 222 that i made errors on. i believe i have to contact a 'dea field agent'? what does that entail and what is the repercussion for doing so? alternatively, what is the repercussion of not notifying the dea? how would they know if there are missing forms? Is it only upon inspection--how close do they look at the forms? I would rather not draw this to the director's attention. Thanks!
You know you are in a over regulated field when you worry about clerical nonsense like this.

I had a DEA agent get huffy with me after the fourth or fifth burglary in a two year period.

I'd called them just to notify them that we'd been robbed again but they didn't take anything this time.

They were perplexed. "not even CIII-Vs?"

Allegedly, they'd only taken resealed empty bottles of generic Norco full of vitamin C, oxy bottles full of lentil beans, and prometh codeine refilled with expired Ora sweet that were left in an unlocked strong box on top of our actual safe.

LMAO

EDIT: they also did not like that i carried a gun at work