You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cincinnati MS in Physiology 2012-2013
Started by BrandNewDay
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was about to post on this thread about how I was worried I hadn't heard back. After all, it HAD to be a couple weeks by now, right?
Nope. I'm just horribly impatient. *sigh*
In due time, Dr. Horrible.
In due time, Dr. Horrible.
Well, if Cincy does reject me but the PhD program doesn't, I can at least have an MD AND a PhD in horribleness!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, if Cincy does reject me but the PhD program doesn't, I can at least have an MD AND a PhD in horribleness!
Haha, hopefully admissions doesn't Captain Hammer you!
Can I just get confirmation that you're aware NPH was Doogie Howser? That's what I'm thinking with your avatar, not Dr. Horrible.
And we all love him for that 👍
Can I just get confirmation that you're aware NPH was Doogie Howser? That's what I'm thinking with your avatar, not Dr. Horrible.
Nuh uh. I love NPH, but that love requires me to deny that Doogie Howser ever existed.
Has anybody heard from Cincy lately?
I was looking into this program and my application recently became complete. I really like the fact that it qualifies you for state residency in Ohio and thus leads to a much lower loan burden in the long run. However, why is it that in the class of 2011, 8 students are either applying to med school/contemplating next steps, were accepted to a DO school, or were accepted to the military school in Bethesda? I thought this program had as high a linkage as EVMS or Temple's postbacc..
Cincinnati added anatomy to the curriculum last year. That's a major change, and past results are less applicable. Anatomy: killer of the unprepared, graveyard of champions.I was looking into this program and my application recently became complete. I really like the fact that it qualifies you for state residency in Ohio and thus leads to a much lower loan burden in the long run. However, why is it that in the class of 2011, 8 students are either applying to med school/contemplating next steps, were accepted to a DO school, or were accepted to the military school in Bethesda? I thought this program had as high a linkage as EVMS or Temple's postbacc..
So on the one hand, it's harder to succeed in the Cincinnati program now. On the other hand, Cincinnati's rigor is likely to make it the gold standard of SMPs, with a great deal of credibility in admissions at other med schools.
Have there been any Cincinnati SMP grads or current students around lately? I'm not looking very hard, but it would be great to get some inside scoop.
Best of luck to you.
I'm a graduate of the 2011 class; we were the last batch before anatomy hit (starting this past fall).
You should know that while Cincinnati has an unofficial "linkage," it is by no means perfect. Of the six people who are applying/contemplating from my class, three of them did not apply before the year. That means of the twenty-nine people who submitted AMCAS apps in summer 2010, twenty-six of us ended up in med school without a gap year, eleven at Cincinnati (with some people turning down Cincinnati to go elsewhere). A few of those six have already been accepted to schools, so we're likely to hit the 95% range of previous classes.
If you're asking why the linkage isn't higher, I can't really answer that. Despite the perilous risks inherent in SMPs, though, Cincinnati has done an exemplary job getting us into med schools.
You should know that while Cincinnati has an unofficial "linkage," it is by no means perfect. Of the six people who are applying/contemplating from my class, three of them did not apply before the year. That means of the twenty-nine people who submitted AMCAS apps in summer 2010, twenty-six of us ended up in med school without a gap year, eleven at Cincinnati (with some people turning down Cincinnati to go elsewhere). A few of those six have already been accepted to schools, so we're likely to hit the 95% range of previous classes.
If you're asking why the linkage isn't higher, I can't really answer that. Despite the perilous risks inherent in SMPs, though, Cincinnati has done an exemplary job getting us into med schools.
However, why is it that in the class of 2011, 8 students are either applying to med school/contemplating next steps, were accepted to a DO school, or were accepted to the military school in Bethesda? I thought this program had as high a linkage as EVMS or Temple's postbacc..
SMPs are not a guaranteed ticket to medical school. Every year at this and I would assume all other SMPs, people either fail out or don't do well enough to gain acceptance.
This is probably the most important thing that should be emphasized to people looking into SMPs. They come with significant risk and a hefty price tag. Also the term "linkage" gets thrown around a lot on SDN but I've never heard any faculty here use it. A lot of us get interviews and acceptances from Cincy of course, but nothing is set in stone.
In addition to those who don't succeed there are those who don't apply during the same year or dont get in until the following year. The current cincinnati M1 class has I believe 16 former masters students in it, of which 5 or so were from classes before the 2011 MS class. (all numbers approximate and subject to correction by QQm).
Anatomy really hasn't been that bad so far, but it's a pain in the sense that it takes away some of the traditional advantage MS students have over the M1s in terms of time to study for other classes. Oh well, we still have the psychological advantage of needing it much more than them. We're like cornered animals fighting for our very survival, and they're like, uh, other animals that are just trying to pass and get good residencies.
How long did it take y'all to hear back? I've been complete for four weeks now.
How long did it take y'all to hear back? I've been complete for four weeks now.
same havent heard anything.
same havent heard anything.
Waitlisted here. Complete since 1/10. 3.35 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 30R MCAT
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey does anybody know how many acceptances have been sent out yet? I was thinking about applying with a 3.0 GPA and 37. Do you think I would be reasonably competitive at this point or have I waited too long?
I think the sGPA is about a 3.2 right now and the over the last 2 years ive had about a 3.3
I dont have much in the way of ECS
Supplemental Instruction Leader Biochemistry
3 Months of Undergrad research
60 Hours Physician Shadowing
Volunteering
I dont have much in the way of ECS
Supplemental Instruction Leader Biochemistry
3 Months of Undergrad research
60 Hours Physician Shadowing
Volunteering
Good luck to all applying! I just reserved my spot and have been looking through what the program has to offer.
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the thesis requirement. I have been (lightly) perusing the website to no avail. Does anyone know if we can pick up from research that we had currently been doing or if there is more of a structured method of choosing your topic.
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the thesis requirement. I have been (lightly) perusing the website to no avail. Does anyone know if we can pick up from research that we had currently been doing or if there is more of a structured method of choosing your topic.
Good luck to all applying! I just reserved my spot and have been looking through what the program has to offer.
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the thesis requirement. I have been (lightly) perusing the website to no avail. Does anyone know if we can pick up from research that we had currently been doing or if there is more of a structured method of choosing your topic.
Awesome, congratulations!
From the website (student mentoring): The Research Experience mentor is selected by the student early in the program, and this faculty member works individually with the student in Winter and Spring quarter to guide development of understanding related to an ongoing project in a faculty laboratory or in the literature.
Ah, thanks for that. Yeah, I'm trying to look at this program at all angles. Haven't found much that I don't like about it. I read earlier you were stuck between this program and EVMS. I haven't even applied to the EVMS program (and admittedly don't know much about it). Are you still deciding between the two?Awesome, congratulations!
From the website (student mentoring): The Research Experience mentor is selected by the student early in the program, and this faculty member works individually with the student in Winter and Spring quarter to guide development of understanding related to an ongoing project in a faculty laboratory or in the literature.
Ah, thanks for that. Yeah, I'm trying to look at this program at all angles. Haven't found much that I don't like about it. I read earlier you were stuck between this program and EVMS. I haven't even applied to the EVMS program (and admittedly don't know much about it). Are you still deciding between the two?
Yep. One day I'll be 100% EVMS, and the next it will be 100% Cincy haha. I've decided to try and not think about it until I hear back from Tulane ACP. If rejected from Tulane, I will visit the schools and make my decision.
...or hopefully I get off Drexel's wait list haha

Did you apply to any other programs?
hahaha, good luck with that. Hopefully visiting will help you decide. I only applied to UCinn and Temple ACMS, so if I were to hear good news from Temple by summer, life might start getting real--real fast.Yep. One day I'll be 100% EVMS, and the next it will be 100% Cincy haha. I've decided to try and not think about it until I hear back from Tulane ACP. If rejected from Tulane, I will visit the schools and make my decision.
...or hopefully I get off Drexel's wait list haha
Did you apply to any other programs?
I suppose time will only tell for the both of us. Hopefully Drexel pulls through for you though.
Just submitted my application here. Hoping for the best!
Fortunately (or depending on your frame of reference, unfortunately ) I am old enough to have witnessed the Pirates above .500. However, this application cycle has me feeling like AJ Burnett's eye right now. Hopefully some good news will change things!
I guess I need to decide between EVMS and Georgetown; very tough decision. Anyone else apply to these two programs other than UCinci?
Hey! I applied to SMP's last year and ended up having to decide between Cincinnati, EVMS, G town, Temple, and Tulane.
I would advise going to visit them if you can. I went to all of these schools last year to check them out and meet with program directors, and it really helped me make an informed decision. If I had only to choose between EVMS and g-town, I would have 100% done EVMS. The people were so friendly, the town was really cute and had a lot of stuff for young people (prob due to the naval base), the medical ed building was recently remodeled, and the linkage is pretty high (I think 80%). I liked g-town too, but at the end of the day the cost of living was higher, its 2 years instead of 1 (and they recommend you wait to apply till after, so its more like 3), and the linkage is really low (like 20-25%). Also, as a Cali resident I couldn't really bank on getting into my state school, so I needed somewhere with the highest linkage. I do think if your goal is to get back into your state school than the g-town name may pull more weight and be right for you.
You really can't make a bad decision here though, good luck with whatever you decide!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete on 2/21
By complete do you mean they sent you an email saying all your recommendations/transcripts are in? Or just when you submitted your app?
By complete do you mean they sent you an email saying all your recommendations/transcripts are in? Or just when you submitted your app?
That's when I received the email.
3.25 gpa, 3.2 sgpa, 30P. Out of state. Good amount of ECs. Spent two summers interning at a biotech. A third as a paid research assistant at Weill-Cornell Med. Served as an undergrad TA twice: once for a vertebrate anatomy lab, then lead environmental studies discussion section. Volunteering at two diff hospitals in diff departments: ER and GI surgery. Also coached a kids soccer team last fall. Solid recs (one of my profs just got promoted to dean at U of Florida). Submitted monday. How should I like my chances? I feel like my gpa/MCAT combo is average at best from reading the thread. Also do they send out a "complete" email once they have received all your stuff (transcript, recs, etc)? (edit: read ^, nevermind)
I just submitted my app last week. My transcript and LORs should be arriving there today or tomorrow. This is my first choice SMP so I'm hoping to get in. 🙂
Just got the complete email today. Best of luck brother
So I just got an email saying that I was in the "top third" of their waitlist. Does anyone know how common it is for someone in this position to ultimately be accepted?
Stats:
3.5 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
32R
So I am a current master's student, and I had very similar stats. My application was complete in mid-May, and I was accepted a week later. Most of the acceptances don't go out until April, May, and June, so to be on the top third of the waitlist is really good.
I've heard that there is a lot of movement off the waitlist, especially if its the top third. Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Yeah I've heard similar, although I also applied to a program that starts in mid-June so hopefully they'll send out some acceptances before then.
I was complete on 3/6 and notified about the waitlist on 3/23
So I am a current master's student, and I had very similar stats. My application was complete in mid-May, and I was accepted a week later. Most of the acceptances don't go out until April, May, and June, so to be on the top third of the waitlist is really good.
Have there been a lot of students this year that have received interviews/acceptances from UC or elsewhere?
Last edited:
Almost everyone in the program who applied received an interview invite from UC, and a lot of us have had other interviews as well. About a third of us currently hold acceptances to UC and/or elsewhere. However, many past master's students got into UC off the waitlist which will likely occur this year as well.Have there been a lot of students this year that have received interviews/acceptances from UC or elsewhere?
Top third of the Wait List, just found out.
Top third of the Wait List, just found out.
Congrats. I was complete 1-2 days ago. Hopefully I'll hear back soon as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats. I was complete 1-2 days ago. Hopefully I'll hear back soon as well.
Took me 16 days to hear back, if you're looking for a timeframe
Marked complete on the 6th of April. Now the wait begins. Fingers crossed.
Complete 3/26. Top third waitlist 4/9. What is the latest we should hear a yes or no? Does the program start in August?
I'm wondering this as well, because I need to make decisions in a relatively short time frame here and if I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid-June it would be important to know.
I'm wondering this as well, because I need to make decisions in a relatively short time frame here and if I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid-June it would be important to know.
Agreed, i got into a handful of other programs, but like this one because it seems like its student get a good shot at cinci for med school. I got into tulanes ms in pharm and got five days to say yes or no. I emailed asking for more time and they never responded. Its frustrating.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 174
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 410
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K