Cincinnati MS in Physiology 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Application marked complete on 4/2. Anxiously waiting to hear back...really scared I might be wait-listed/rejected because everyone on this thread who've been wait-listed have pretty good stats. I really would love to get into this program because I've heard so many great things...and the linkage helps as well. This is definitely my #1 choice for smp.
 
Application marked complete on 4/2. Anxiously waiting to hear back...really scared I might be wait-listed/rejected because everyone on this thread who've been wait-listed have pretty good stats. I really would love to get into this program because I've heard so many great things...and the linkage helps as well. This is definitely my #1 choice for smp.

Same for me. #1 choice. I was marked complete on 4/3. Good luck!
 
I was complete on 3/30, and accepted this afternoon - so about 18 days, if you're looking for a rough timeframe. Really excited, it looks like a great program. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete on 3/30, and accepted this afternoon - so about 18 days, if you're looking for a rough timeframe. Really excited, it looks like a great program. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back!
Stats? If you don't mind.
 
I was waitlisted yesterday. I'm not holding onto much hope that I'll move out of the waitlist. I talked to the program director and he informed me that the average GPA/MCAT this year is 3.46 and 33.....-_-
 
I was waitlisted yesterday. I'm not holding onto much hope that I'll move out of the waitlist. I talked to the program director and he informed me that the average GPA/MCAT this year is 3.46 and 33.....-_-

What the hell. With those stats why are they applying to an SMP in the first place. Even as a backup it doesn't make sense to me, their time and money could be better spent elsewhere in that year if they don't get in..
 
I was waitlisted yesterday. I'm not holding onto much hope that I'll move out of the waitlist. I talked to the program director and he informed me that the average GPA/MCAT this year is 3.46 and 33.....-_-

A shot in the dark, but these sound like people who may have applied to medical school this cycle and been waitlisted or are hedging their bets while waiting to hear back at all. In that case, definitely be hopeful because it means there will movement on the waitlist in the summer months.
 
What the hell. With those stats why are they applying to an SMP in the first place. Even as a backup it doesn't make sense to me, their time and money could be better spent elsewhere in that year if they don't get in..

Yup...that's exactly what I'm thinking...all those people could be getting into fairly decent med schools with stats like that. However, I suppose they like the idea of linkage..and UCincy's probably looking for people with med school appropriate stats so they can boast of high success rates for % of graduates going to med schools right after the program. Sigh...and then there are people who actually could use the help of SMP (like me) 🙁

I can understand why students with high stats may apply to SMPs (linkage, guarantee, etc). I can also understand why a school like UCincy would prefer applicants who have 3.45 and 33 over applicants like me....however, I don't understand why these programs can't be more forthcoming from the beginning. Aka...not listing the minimum requirements for applying as "27" and "3.00"...because as we all know now, that is far from the numbers that could get you into this program....definitely not a minimum. I wish they had just put "Accepted applicants generally have a GPA of 3.4+ and MCAT of ~33"...then I would not have wasted $140 on this....I just dislike the misleading information =/ or maybe I'm just bitter cos I got wait-listed/most likely rejected.
 
Yup...that's exactly what I'm thinking...all those people could be getting into fairly decent med schools with stats like that. However, I suppose they like the idea of linkage..and UCincy's probably looking for people with med school appropriate stats so they can boast of high success rates for % of graduates going to med schools right after the program. Sigh...and then there are people who actually could use the help of SMP (like me) 🙁

I can understand why students with high stats may apply to SMPs (linkage, guarantee, etc). I can also understand why a school like UCincy would prefer applicants who have 3.45 and 33 over applicants like me....however, I don't understand why these programs can't be more forthcoming from the beginning. Aka...not listing the minimum requirements for applying as "27" and "3.00"...because as we all know now, that is far from the numbers that could get you into this program....definitely not a minimum. I wish they had just put "Accepted applicants generally have a GPA of 3.4+ and MCAT of ~33"...then I would not have wasted $140 on this....I just dislike the misleading information =/ or maybe I'm just bitter cos I got wait-listed/most likely rejected.

Sorry for the waitlist news. It's better than a rejection though! Things could change. 🙂 That makes me really nervous to hear about the averages being so high. My stats are definitely below those. I was also marked complete one day after you, so that makes me even more nervous since I should be hearing back from them any day now.
 
For the people on the waitlist, I wouldn't give up quite yet. Like DoctaSleepy said, many of the higher-stat people are probably holding a handful of med school waitlist spots and are hedging their bets by saving a seat in the SMP. Typically there's more movement in May --> June as people get pulled off waitlists, and that leads to waitlist movement for the SMP. We had somebody get into the program the day of orientation. Good luck guys! :luck:
 
Got waitlisted...not even top 1/3. Historically, have people from the bottom 2/3 of the waitlist gotten into the program before? What are the chances of that? I would still very much like to attend this program.
 
If wait-lists are already being given out does that mean they already gave out their acceptances? I haven't heard anything from them yet aside from the e-mail stating my app was complete. Well I'm below those averages as well so I guess I won't be holding my breath.
 
Yup...that's exactly what I'm thinking...all those people could be getting into fairly decent med schools with stats like that. However, I suppose they like the idea of linkage..and UCincy's probably looking for people with med school appropriate stats so they can boast of high success rates for % of graduates going to med schools right after the program. Sigh...and then there are people who actually could use the help of SMP (like me) 🙁

I can understand why students with high stats may apply to SMPs (linkage, guarantee, etc). I can also understand why a school like UCincy would prefer applicants who have 3.45 and 33 over applicants like me....however, I don't understand why these programs can't be more forthcoming from the beginning. Aka...not listing the minimum requirements for applying as "27" and "3.00"...because as we all know now, that is far from the numbers that could get you into this program....definitely not a minimum. I wish they had just put "Accepted applicants generally have a GPA of 3.4+ and MCAT of ~33"...then I would not have wasted $140 on this....I just dislike the misleading information =/ or maybe I'm just bitter cos I got wait-listed/most likely rejected.

I definitely agree with the sentiment. People with high GPAs should not be doing SMPs. Just spend 1/4th of the time and 1/50th of the money to study the everloving crap out of the MCAT. However I don't think those numbers are necessarily reflective of the historical averages entering the program. I think that the stats have been sort of increasing every year. Also, remember that people from med school unfriendly states and of over-represented ethnicities can have high-looking stats and still go 0-for-30 in an app cycle (or three).

That said, I feel for you man (woman?). The thing is, I can't place the blame for this on the administration. Of course they want to bring in the best students they can, to give them a one-year tryout for the med school if nothing else.
 
Got waitlisted...not even top 1/3. Historically, have people from the bottom 2/3 of the waitlist gotten into the program before? What are the chances of that? I would still very much like to attend this program.

Got into the mid/bottom third on the waitlist too 🙁 I'm not very optimistic when it comes to waitlists so I'm probably going to try to just move on and just focus on other schools. I do like how informative/honest they are though...reflects well on the program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! Congratulations to all of you who have successfully made it to this phase of your career!!

I don't know if this is an appropriate post for this thread, but thought I'd throw this out here since I remember how difficult it was for me to find a place to live in town. I am putting my condo up for rent beginning in mid-June. It's a fairly new 2 bedroom 2.5 bath condo in a very small and private community in East Walnut Hills, right outside of Eden Park. It's about a 2 mile (5 minute) drive to the UC parking garage and is extremely convenient to I-71/75/471 and a short drive to downtown, Hyde Park, and Newport. If any of you are interested, please email me at [email protected] and I can send pictures and answer any questions.

Good luck to all of you! 🙂
 
For those on the wait list:

I didn't even apply until the very end of May last year. Was holding out for a med school miracle. Was waitlisted with a 32R and a 3.5sci/3.5cum.

Wait list moved like crazy in June, many people change their mind or wind up in med school. I heard back one week later with an offer.

Be patient, these things tend to move even later than med school (which is late enough!)
 
For those on the wait list:

I didn't even apply until the very end of May last year. Was holding out for a med school miracle. Was waitlisted with a 32R and a 3.5sci/3.5cum.

Wait list moved like crazy in June, many people change their mind or wind up in med school. I heard back one week later with an offer.

Be patient, these things tend to move even later than med school (which is late enough!)


This is good to know. When do you think us Mid Tier waitlisters may hear back? Late May or more Mid June?
 
Got accepted yesterday 5/7 app complete 4/27. I really like this program but I'm from Chicago and I've been accepted to Loyola and Tufts.. not sure if I will keep my spot yet, decisions decisions

Stats:
3.2 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
MCAT 34O (10, 11, 13)
 
Anyone else accepted to Cinci and other SMPs and trying to decide? I'm deciding between Cinci, Tufts, and BU (also RFU but have not heard back yet on a decision from them). Anyone in a similar situation? I only have one more week to decide. I think I am going to go check out Cincinnati (the city and the school) since I've never been there. Maybe it will help me decide.
 
Anyone else accepted to Cinci and other SMPs and trying to decide? I'm deciding between Cinci, Tufts, and BU (also RFU but have not heard back yet on a decision from them). Anyone in a similar situation? I only have one more week to decide. I think I am going to go check out Cincinnati (the city and the school) since I've never been there. Maybe it will help me decide.

Really depends on what you want out of the program. Look at overall acceptance, linkage, number of med school classes, length, cost, size, grading system, ranking, etc. It really comes down to a) what you want out of the program b) what you want to do with your life.
 
Really depends on what you want out of the program. Look at overall acceptance, linkage, number of med school classes, length, cost, size, grading system, ranking, etc. It really comes down to a) what you want out of the program b) what you want to do with your life.

My main goal is to get into medical school and I really don't want another gap year. For this reason I am leaning towards Cincinnati. Also the cost of living really helps. My main problem is that when I started researching SMPs 2 years ago, I fell in love with Tufts. This was before I really knew anything about Cincinnati. I think Cinci is probably right for me, I am just going through the process of letting go of Tufts. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some benefits that Tufts would have over Cinci if you could come up with one?
 
My main goal is to get into medical school and I really don't want another gap year. For this reason I am leaning towards Cincinnati. Also the cost of living really helps. My main problem is that when I started researching SMPs 2 years ago, I fell in love with Tufts. This was before I really knew anything about Cincinnati. I think Cinci is probably right for me, I am just going through the process of letting go of Tufts. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some benefits that Tufts would have over Cinci if you could come up with one?


MPH was a big one for me. Also, the grads of cinci and tufts go to very different schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also just got accepted here. I was not really sure about all of this, but can this program help me with medical school? I have the option of working another year or doing this program. Seems a lot of money for not necessarily a guarantee.
 
Last edited:
Exactly right bkt. I would only recommend an SMP if you have a low GPA, a good MCAT, can take the hit financially, would be happy going to cincy, and are impatient.

Yes, these programs can help-- I would not be starting med school next year without this one-- but just be sure to count the cost. Including the opportunity cost of losing a year's wages.
 
Also just got accepted here. I was not really sure about all of this, but can this program help me with medical school? I have the option of working another year or doing this program. Seems a lot of money for not necessarily a guarantee.

Stats:

Duke
uGPA: 3.4
SGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 35 (12 11 12)
Application Completed on May 2nd
Acceptance on May 14

Nothing is guaranteed either way but one is a higher risk then the other. SMPs are high risk programs and in order to justify that risk you really need the right GPA to MCAT score ratio. While a 3.4 GPA may seem low it is really not that bad and could easily be improved with a little post-bacc work depending on how many credit hours you already have. Post-bacc is almost no risk and you can do it at just about any university. Consider all of your options before committing to an SMP as your stats are not bad. Also keep in mind SMPs are not a good idea for people that are trying to get themselves in the consideration for top tier medical schools and I am not saying that you are doing this but SMPs are their to get people into a medical school so if you go with Cinni's SMP it is likely that if you do very well in the program you would go to Cinni's medical school or your state school. Most people that choose the SMP have GPAs anywhere from2.9 to 3.3 and MCATs from 29 to 36 and know that if they can just prove themselves that they can get in. Persons in the 3.4 GPA range often do more undergrad work to pull up their grades while they apply to medical school. You have a 35 MCAT and OK GPA if you did apply early and broadly, and update the medical schools as grades and clinical work comes in you stand a good chance to get in. Dig around for awhile here and in other forums and find out what the best thing for you is. You have time to figure it out.
 
Just accepted my spot in the program! Excited for next year! Anyone looking for a roommate? I am a female planning on living somewhere within 10 minutes driving distance from campus.... probably downtown or Hyde Park/Mt. Adams neighborhoods
 
I got accepted to the program today! If there are any old current students my question to you is how do you pay for the program. My parents paid for college but now I am on my own which means I will be going into major debt. Also, are their assistantships etc available?
 
I got accepted to the program today! If there are any old current students my question to you is how do you pay for the program. My parents paid for college but now I am on my own which means I will be going into major debt. Also, are their assistantships etc available?

Were you on the waitlist. If so what tier?
 
I got accepted to the program today! If there are any old current students my question to you is how do you pay for the program. My parents paid for college but now I am on my own which means I will be going into major debt. Also, are their assistantships etc available?

The large majority of students take out Stafford and Grad Plus loans to cover the cost of attendance.

I don't think very many Masters students hold side jobs, if any at all. The program, at least, does not offer any official assistantships, though if you talk to the labs in the building you might be able to find something. That said, your grades should be priority one, so be careful sacrificing to trim a little principal off your debt. In the best case scenario it's gonna balloon anyway when you need to bankroll four more years.
 
Last edited:
Thanks QQm -
a few more questions - how do I go about figuring out housing - i'm all the way in LA and I don't think i'll be able to fly to Cincinnati to find a place -
Does the program give us a list of people accepted so we can find housing with other ppl in the program?
Also, will I need to bring my car ? I didnt need a car during my undergrad but Im thinking grad life will be different
 
Thanks QQm -
a few more questions - how do I go about figuring out housing - i'm all the way in LA and I don't think i'll be able to fly to Cincinnati to find a place -
Does the program give us a list of people accepted so we can find housing with other ppl in the program?
Also, will I need to bring my car ? I didnt need a car during my undergrad but Im thinking grad life will be different

The program director typically sends out a tentative list of accepted students with emails, but it may have already gone out. Your best bet would be to email Jeannie Cummins and request the list; your classmates are probably deep into their searches for housing and looking for roommates. If that doesn't work, I'd check Craigslist or other housing websites.

A car is more of a convenience, but by no means mandatory. Groceries are somewhat limited close to the campus (there's a Kroger within 1-2 miles but it's not the best), though, so you'll need to make friends with other Masters students and/or M1s with cars if you don't want to eat Subway/cafeteria food every day.
 
submitted my app this afternoon. Letters and transcripts should arrive sometimes next week. I know it's crazy late but I am hoping for the best 🙂.

Anyone knows if PI letter is considered faculty letter? or does it have to be from a professor whom I took a class with 😕
 
Just got W/L in middle/bottom third. I know my chances depend on how many that drop/get into medical school and the length of the WL, but anyone on the list from last year eventually get accepted? Just hoping for something positive after a rough AMCAS 2012 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I put a deposit down on a one bedroom at the village at stetson square. It's close to campus, but expensive.
 
Just submitted today with a 3.18 and 35N (12 8 15). I'm worried that the 8 is going to kill my chances.. should've stuck with my first score of 34 (12 11 11). Do you guys think they'll take both scores into consideration?