Cincinnati vs. Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayocarditis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm coming to the end of my cycle and have narrowed my choices between these two schools. For reference, I'm not geographically close to these schools so I don't have a clear idea of their reputation, other than they are well-regarded schools in their respective regions.

For my career interests, I'm looking to go into academic medicine within pediatrics & global health.

Specifically, I'm hoping to match at an academic program within a tertiary/quaternary center (i.e., CHOP, BCRP, BCM, UW, UPMC, CHLA, Cincinnati, Colorado, etc.). I know it's a lofty goal but would like to keep that option available. I totally understand that matching at these places is extremely difficult and requires more than simply the name of my medical school.

Cincinnati

Pros:
+ Cost of Living/Tuition ($300K)
+ Child and Adolescent Health Track (Research, Mentorship, etc.)
+ Decent Global Health Exposure
+ Affiliation to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
+ P/F in Pre-Clinical

Cons:
- Possibility of Internal Quartile Rankings
- H/HP/C/P/F in Clerkships
- Traditional Block Clerkships
- 2 Year Pre-Clinical Curriculum
- Cincinnati and Ohio

Colorado

Pros:
+ Phenomenal Global Health Track
+ Formal Mentorship Program
+ Affiliation to Children's Hospital Colorado
+ 1 Year Pre-Clinical Curriculum
+ Longitudinal Clerkships Model
+ Built in Research/Academic Development Time during 3rd Year
+ Ability to Open Up the West Coast & Texas for Residency Options
+ P/F in Pre-Clinical
+ Denver and Colorado

Cons:
- Cost of Living/Tuition ($440K)
- H/HP/P/F in Clerkships
- Mandatory Attendance in Lectures (33-50%)

As you can probably tell, I'm leaning towards CUSOM. I was fortunate to have a bunch of interviews (15+) and I kept comparing my interview and recruitment experience with CUSOM to all my other schools. Even after my interview, the medical students and faculty I interviewed with kept in touch with me, offered guidance and opportunities to connect with program directors which I never expected from any of the schools I applied to. One of the admissions committee members even offered a one-on-one tour at the school which seemed like they really wanted me to go there. My interview and experience at UCCOM was okay but not to the level of CUSOM.

Now the only glaring red flag about CUSOM is the cost, which for someone interested in academic pediatrics, is something I should definitely think about. I'm still awaiting scholarships/financial aid but still wanted to weigh both options before even if I receive no money. I do hope to live out in the West or in Texas eventually, so being in Colorado helps with that.

The match lists between both schools are similar in the sense that either the majority of students match into their respective home programs (Children's Colorado or Cincinnati Children's). I know it's a moot point to read into match lists but they are great either way for both schools in pediatrics.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m no expert but I would lean towards Cincinnati if you are interested in pediatrics. I think their opportunities in that regard are nearly unmatched. It seems like they really care about their students at Cincy too.

Dr. Batisky, the admissions dean at Cincy, is super nice, open to communication from applicants, and a pediatrician himself. Perhaps you could reach out to him to discuss your concerns, wants, and needs to see what he has to say.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you me???

Very similar story minus the global health, I am very interested in academic peds. Much like you, I also loved my interview experience at CU yet the ONLY downside is the skyscraper tuition.

I think when comparing the medical school side CUSOM has the upper hand. The 1 year P/F preclinical unranked curriculum is stellar and great for mental health. This also gives you a lot of flexibility to pursue global health electives, peds, electives and focused peds research in your 3rd and 4th year. The 2 year trad curriculum + block clinical rotations won't be as helpful as LIC models in my opinion. At CU you could rank locations and choose to do all your rotations at Children's of Colorado, and basically spend almost all (some exceptions) your rotations there.

Now when Hospitals, Children's of Colorado is nationally ranked, has been in top 10 for the past decade (not this year weirdly enough), BUT it is definitely not Cincy Children's, Cincy is the big dawg hospital. The hospital affiliation would help a lot and it has a big name. But as your mentioned, the connection to east coast peds programs is strong for CUSOM, specially if you do your LIC at Children's of Colorado.

I also have had a few options to attend and I am also waiting for aid, and seeing how scholarships play out with CUSOM, but more likely than not, the choice for me is looking like CUSOM. Wait for aid to come in, and make your decision.

Hope to see you at CUSOM!!! Let's connect if you end up committing.

Honestly, if you know you are committed to academic peds, then PSLF is likely going to be what you pursue, which could eliminate the cost factor for you. Otherwise, these are obviously both amazing programs for peds and you can’t go wrong.