This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucephalus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm gonna preface this by saying that I'm not in love with any particular specialty, but may have a slight preference towards Radiology. Also, I ultimately would like to match outside of the Midwest (east/west coasts + Chicago) so that may factor in as well.

Any help/feedback is appreciated!

University of Cincinnati
Pros:
  • In state tuition
  • Cincinnati Children's
  • School seems more integrated with the city (ie location, size of hospital and clinic system)
  • Familiarity with the area: already know lots of things to do, places to eat, etc.
  • Absolutely loved the Deans of Diversity and Inclusion, and really liked everyone else
  • Commitment to teaching Cultural Competence
  • Students were very friendly and seemed fairly relaxed
  • Have old friends that go here and seem to enjoy it
  • May be minor but I really enjoyed the MMI process and their commitment to it
Cons:
  • UC Med Center isn't the most modern hospital
  • Classrooms and study spaces aren't the nicest
  • Would again be staying in state after trying to leave for undergrad and med school (nothing against OH, just want to try something new)

Medical College of Wisconsin
Pros:
  • New area/community to explore
  • Very new facilities and classrooms
  • Froedtert Hospital seems highly regarded
  • Milwaukee looks like a cool town, albeit somewhat small.
  • Proximity to Chicago, for both family and entertainment reasons
  • Potential to match into Chicago
  • Scholarly Pathways Curriculum is interesting, gives some structured opportunity for research
Cons:
  • School is somewhat detached from the city center
  • Less of a sense of community, may be due to lack of undergrad
  • Living is mostly suburban
  • Admissions people were maybe too relaxed and informal, seemed kind of unprofessional. Only based on first impressions though.
  • Potential lack of name recognition outside of Wisconsin/Illinois. I'll have to admit my ignorance in this regard.

Ultimately I think I'm leaning towards UC, but that may just be due to my familiarity with the program and the city. Really the one big thing holding me back is passing up an opportunity to live somewhere new and experience new things.

Members don't see this ad.