Cipro, ertapenem or beta-lactam +macrolide?

Started by minette
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

minette

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I know you are watching the super bowl, but please help me!!

Pt has CAP and admitted to the ER
Allergies: PCN (rash), norfloxacin (gait unsteadiness)
Acoording to the CDC guidelines, inpatient non-ICU treatment is: a respiratory fluoroquinolone
or a beta-lactam+macrolide (preferred beta lactam agents include cefotaxime, ceftriaxone, and ampicillin; with doxycycline[level 3 evidence] as an alternative to the macrolide. Respiratory fluoroquinolone should be used for PCN-allergic pts.

My Q: Pt is allergic to norfloxacin, so i don't think i could give him Cipro (might be a cross reactivity of unknown severity according to micromedex)
Pt is allergic to PCN, so beta lactam is not good; but it was only a rash...do u think i could still recommend b-lactam + macrolide?
 
Last edited:
Hey, I know you are watching the super bowl, but please help me!!

Pt has CAP and admitted to the ER
Allergies: PCN (rash), norfloxacin (gait unsteadiness)
Acoording to the CDC guidelines, inpatient non-ICU treatment is: a respiratory fluoroquinolone
or a beta-lactam+macrolide (preferred beta lactam agents include cefotaxime, ceftriaxone, and ampicillin; ertapenem for selected patients; with doxycycline[level 3 evidence] as an alternative to the macrolide. Respiratory fluoroquinolone should be used for PCN-allergic pts.

My Q: Pt is allergic to norfloxacin, so i don't think i could give him Cipro (might be a cross reactivity of unknown severity according to micromedex)
Pt is allergic to PCN, so beta lactam is not good; but it was only a rash...do u think i could still recommend b-lactam + macrolide? or should i go with ertapenem?

🙂
 
Hey, I know you are watching the super bowl, but please help me!!

Pt has CAP and admitted to the ER
Allergies: PCN (rash), norfloxacin (gait unsteadiness)
Acoording to the CDC guidelines, inpatient non-ICU treatment is: a respiratory fluoroquinolone
or a beta-lactam+macrolide (preferred beta lactam agents include cefotaxime, ceftriaxone, and ampicillin; ertapenem for selected patients; with doxycycline[level 3 evidence] as an alternative to the macrolide. Respiratory fluoroquinolone should be used for PCN-allergic pts.

My Q: Pt is allergic to norfloxacin, so i don't think i could give him Cipro (might be a cross reactivity of unknown severity according to micromedex)
Pt is allergic to PCN, so beta lactam is not good; but it was only a rash...do u think i could still recommend b-lactam + macrolide? or should i go with ertapenem?

Ertapenem is also a b-lactam.

If this were my patient, with only a rash to PCN, I'd go with rocephin and zithromax.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is gait unsteadiness a true allergy? I don't really think so. Cipro isn't really a respiratory FQ. Why not try levaquin?
 
If hes sick enough to get admitted I'm all about the ceftriaxone + azithro.
 
The cross reactivity is low for the PCN allergy....so I would give the Rocephin and Zithromax....

and monitor for rash......if rash occurs, then I would switch over to Avelox or Levaquin because the gait unsteadiness is not that bad of an adverse reaction to the medication to make me not give it in this case.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The cross reactivity is low for the PCN allergy....so I would give the Rocephin and Zithromax....

and monitor for rash......if rash occurs, then I would switch over to Avelox or Levaquin because the gait unsteadiness is not that bad of an adverse reaction to the medication to make me not give it in this case.

Levaquin and a ceph (Cipro is not a respiratory FQ). Don't really mind if he walks 'unsteadily' if he's admitted. 😳

i may be missing something here but what is the rationale for empiric double coverage in this CAP patient?
 
Here is my canned Z-pack fact finding answer.

"What are the common bugs that cause CAP and what are they sensitive to?"[/QUOTE

exactly, that's what I was getting at. almost always S. pneumo, followed by atypicals and h. flu. so why double cover? anyone for doxy?