Circadian Rhythm vs. Block Schedules-Pros and Cons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pure Anergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I've been visiting different programs, it seems like they're always eager to point out that they schedule by blocks (like, several nights together, or several days together), while other programs are just as eager to point out that they use circadian schedules. I don't really know which one I'm supposed to prefer, if there is one to prefer. Do any of you have experience with both types of schedules? Which of the two do you like better? Do you think there's really a difference in how well one type of schedule versus the other synchs with people's circadian rhythms?

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the circadian schedule I worked as a med student. When I wind up working a circadian like stretch now (which happens by chance) I still really like it. The biggest disadvantage to the circadian schedule is that when you want to change a shift it is difficult and you either can't get anyone to do it because they are locked into their own schedule or you do change it and it screws the whole pattern up for a week.

Just out of curiousity, when you talk about circadian schedules, are you talking about a progressive shift type of schedule (Monday-Day shift, Tuesday-Swing shift, Wednesday-Night shift, Thursday-off, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, docB. It does seem like circadian shifts make sense as long as people don't constantly want to switch around.

Just out of curiousity, when you talk about circadian schedules, are you talking about a progressive shift type of schedule (Monday-Day shift, Tuesday-Swing shift, Wednesday-Night shift, Thursday-off, etc.)?
Yes, exactly. Sometimes they might do a couple of days together before shifting to the next time. So like, two mornings, an afternoon, two evenings, a night, then a day or two off. But always getting later and later.

I don't really know which one I'm supposed to prefer, if there is one to prefer.

It's simple, you'll prefer the kind that you prefer, but you don't know which that is yet. Besides, these are the kinds of questions that make you rank a residency you don't like over one you liked. I recommend you try to ignore them.

How many shifts & how long? Now that's a different issue...

It's simple, you'll prefer the kind that you prefer, but you don't know which that is yet. Besides, these are the kinds of questions that make you rank a residency you don't like over one you liked. I recommend you try to ignore them.

How many shifts & how long? Now that's a different issue...

Agreed. Not to mention all of those details are subject to change after you start your training at the program.

Agreed. Not to mention all of those details are subject to change after you start your training at the program.
Good point, I hadn't thought about that. Though couldn't the number and length of shifts change also? Anyway, thanks Wilco, I think you're right that it's probably not the best way to rank programs.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. Though couldn't the number and length of shifts change also? Anyway, thanks Wilco, I think you're right that it's probably not the best way to rank programs.

Absolutely. They can and have at several programs I am familiar with. Curriculums change, program directors change, benefits change. Lots of change. Geography at least tends to remain constant :)

Absolutely. They can and have at several programs I am familiar with. Curriculums change, program directors change, benefits change. Lots of change. Geography at least tends to remain constant :)
True. I guess I'll adjust to the work schedule regardless just like everyone else does. Thanks again for your advice. :thumbup:

Is it possible to get a list of Circadian Schedule residencies? Or at least find out which residencies use the Circadian scheduling system?

Thank you!!!
Pre-med