circulatory system question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Simran1031

Princess of 2014=)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that on the aamc study guide for bio it says regulation of plasma volume under composition of blood. I am not sure what this refers to..I tried to check for this in EK bio book and I wasnt sure. It sounds to me like how does blood make sure the volume is regulated and I am not sure what the answer is..any advice/info would be helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, This is totally related to this thread, is that avatar a picture of you? Cause your beautiful :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's break it down. What is plasma? What is plasma volume?

Plasma is defined as the liquid portion of blood. It's the portion in which blood cells are suspended and other substances (proteins, sugars, ions, hormones, CO2, etc) are dissolved. Plasma volume is the amount of plasma, and it's important to know that it can vary. It can be increased or decreased. The activity of certain hormones induce such increases/decreases in plasma volume. Take ADH for example. ADH increases the amount of water reabsorbed at the collecting duct of nephrons. More water in the blood means a relatively greater plasma volume. Similarly, aldosterone, a steroid hormone, functions by increasing sodium absorbtion and potassium secretion in the kidney, this too leads to an increase in plasma volume (osmosis).

Last edited: