citizen of USA studying high school abroad

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doctor4lyfe

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
I am a citizen of USA in high school in Pakistan. I just entered 11th and I'm looking for my options right now before its too late. The system right now is A levels which is run under CIE (Cambridge international examinations). Now the questions I want to ask is firstly about MCAT. Should I take MCAT in this year as I am planning to do SAT's this year. More importantly is SAT even required for addmission into med school or is it equivalent to MCAT? I'm not quite sure what i have to do after MCAT and all the exams like how do I change my o\a level results in equivalent to GPA? If someone could help me in these and continue answering my questions when I ask I will be very thankful.
Thanks
 
Hi guys,
I am a citizen of USA in high school in Pakistan. I just entered 11th and I'm looking for my options right now before its too late. The system right now is A levels which is run under CIE (Cambridge international examinations). Now the questions I want to ask is firstly about MCAT. Should I take MCAT in this year as I am planning to do SAT's this year. More importantly is SAT even required for addmission into med school or is it equivalent to MCAT? I'm not quite sure what i have to do after MCAT and all the exams like how do I change my o\a level results in equivalent to GPA? If someone could help me in these and continue answering my questions when I ask I will be very thankful.
Thanks

You need only to take your A-levels and maybe the SAT.

You will need to attend a university for four years before medical school.
You will want to apply to universities here and major in what ever you choose provided you take the classes I reference below to prepare for the MCAT.

The SAT is not needed nor equivalent to the MCAT. The MCAT is taken by undergrad students after 1 year college level Bio, Physics, gen Chem, and organic chem.
 
US Medical education is very different from medical education abroad. While outside the US it is standard to enter medical school in a 6 year MBBS track (or similar) that does not provide an undergraduate degree and teaches only medical classes, in the US you attend a 4 year undergraduate institution and then apply to medical school which is another 4 years.

To apply to US undergraduate colleges you will take the SAT and/or ACT and your high school coursework.

Everything you need for medical school can be completed once you've started college. As stated by Caesar, this includes the pre-requisite classes and the MCAT. You don't take the MCAT in high school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All right thanks alot guys. I have a couple more questions, First what will I be studying in the 4 years as an undergraduate? And I also heard that if I DO medical school abroad it will be almost impossible to get accepted for internship or residency here, the guy who told me was head of nuerology in University of Louisville and I just want to confirm if its true. Thanks again.
 
All right thanks alot guys. I have a couple more questions, First what will I be studying in the 4 years as an undergraduate? And I also heard that if I DO medical school abroad it will be almost impossible to get accepted for internship or residency here, the guy who told me was head of nuerology in University of Louisville and I just want to confirm if its true. Thanks again.

As an undergrad you may study almost anything as long as you take the prerequisite courses for medical school. There is some variation but in general they consist of:

-2 semesters of Biology w/lab
-2 semesters of General Chemistry w/lab
-2 semesters of Organic Chemistry w/lab
-2 semesters of Physics w/lab
-1 semester of Calc
-1 semseter of English
(Biochemistry and Genetics are not required by all schools, but recommended by many)

As long as you've taken the above, you may take a degree track that features whatever interests you. I have friends in my class that studied music, some that were teachers and others that simply studied biology and chemistry.

If your attend medical school abroad (by this, I assume you mean outside the US with the goal of practicing within the US), it is more difficult to eventually become licensed to practice within the US but not totally impossible. You will need to pass the United States Medical Licensing Exams (USMLE) and if you are applying for residencies, US medical school grads are typically chosen for more competitive residencies before international applicants. The path of least resistance is always to get your medical education in the same country in which you intend to practice.